The symptoms... What could it be?

Scratchn By

Songster
11 Years
Nov 7, 2008
East Texas
Hey byc! Thanks for coming to the rescue!

I've got a two day old silkie chick that will act perfectly normal and every few minutes brake into a terrible head scratching episode. It kind of looks like a seizure, but it will act perfectly normal the next second. It is also keeping it's eyes closed more than normal. I don't know if that's due to no rest, stemming from the recurring scratch episodes. It is scratching on both sides of the head and using both feet. I'm thinking ear problems. It does not seem too steady on it's feet. It's just a little wobbly...

Anyway, let me know what you think it might be and thanks for the help!

If you had this was a much older bird I would have said it was mites or lice. But since it's such a young bird I don't know how likely that is.

I hope someone else can chime in with some good info for you.

Ear mites? I've not even known of my adult birds having problems with them.

It's only two days old and not been with any others, except its hatch mates. The litter is hay and clean. Clean water and food. Hmmm...
idunno.gif

How would you tell if it had ear mites? I've looked with a flashlight and those ears are so small.

Thanks!

Someone gave me a lone Serama chick only a few days old once. I never thought to "quarantine" a day old chick. but turns out he was craling with mites already and then my four other birds he was brooding with were too! I used some poultry dust on all of them and it cleared them up right away.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to go ahead and dust the whole shebang in the next day or two. I'll start with this chick, today. Funny! I've been watching it closely and have not seen the scratching episode today. Hmmm.... I hope that's over with. Disturbing!
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom