The tattletale chick

Aschenfire

Songster
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Backstory here...I hatched out some modern game bantam eggs and ended up with two chicks. One of them, Diva, is healthy and bouncy, but the other had badly curled feet so I ended up culling it yesterday. Diva had been sad and lonely and LOUD, till I went and bought a friend for her...a HUGE Black Australorp baby about the same age. Her name is La Fawnduh (Napolean Dynamite fans will get the reference)

Here they are:

So anyway, I put them in a cardboard box brooder, which I thought was high enough to be escape-proof for now. Silence, blessed silence, as the two become friends on sight. Till.... PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEPPEEEPEEEEEEEEEEPPP!!!! At full volume. I was not happy. Not happy at all. "Diva... shush!" says Mom.
I decided to see what was causing the screamfest in the bedroom, since only something like an attack by a wandering lion or something should have caused that kind of panic.

Imagine my surprise to see La Fawnduh sitting on the top edge of the box, happy as could be, and Diva screaming and freaking out. If she could have done so, I am convinced she would have pointed and yelled "LOOK! MOM! LOOOOK!!!"
After the little escapee was captured and a top put on the brooder, peace reigned once more, and silence descended on the house again.

Gotta love those little tattletails. :D

Haha, I have a little sister that likes to try and hold my chicks. Although, they make sure to let me know if anyone grabs them. It doesn't matter where I am, I can always hear them.

You culled a chick with curled feet? That can be easily cured for future reference.

Like so.

I've been very successful. It took only three days to cure a very curly footed silkie.

I did try. But they were pretty severe and I don't believe that I should *baby* them along, if they are already at a disadvantage. It is great that it can be done, I just did not like to see this little thing barely able to stand, and think it was kinder to end whatever suffering it was going through.

I give you guys credit who do pull the little ones through problems like this, and I do have a moderately cross-beak Silkie who is dear to me, so I'm not a cruel chicken killer. LOL!

lol.png
Citizen's arrest! Citizen's arrest!

This little MGB is so funny...she thinks the Australorp makes the BEST bed. It is going to be a tough call when it comes time to take them out to the run. I have a bantam run and a standard chicken/silkie run. I think they'll be upset to be separated, but I can't put one tiny MGB in the big girls run. Might have to end up putting the big black gal in with the tiny ones. Hoping they adjust ok to separation though...they WILL be able to see each other since the runs are connected, just separated by fencing.

I did try. But they were pretty severe and I don't believe that I should *baby* them along, if they are already at a disadvantage. It is great that it can be done, I just did not like to see this little thing barely able to stand, and think it was kinder to end whatever suffering it was going through. 

I give you guys credit who do pull the little ones through problems like this, and I do have a moderately cross-beak Silkie who is dear to me, so I'm not a cruel chicken killer. LOL!
Usually it's a problem during incubation, and not a genetic fault.

If they are in pain, of course. Glad you tried :) Wasn't trying to say you were a chicken-killer, just didn't know if you knew about splinting it to correct crooked toes.

Back
Top Bottom