The thing I find most fascinating about pecking order

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobbieschicks, Jan 6, 2012.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Is that my lead hen is a 25 week old White Leghorn and even though my 12 week old Lavender Orpington pullets are now larger then her, they still run when she comes around.

2. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    my tinyest bantam RIR is at the top of my pecking order. all other hens are the standard size and they are all afraid of her, she gives them a peck now and then, they scramble.....size doesn't matter.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, with chickens size means nothing. I have a tiny half pound roo that is lording it over my BR X cockerel, even though the cockerel is much bigger.

4. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    I have an Old English Game Bantam and she rules! Even the Orpington doesn't undermine Honey's rule [​IMG]

Size? Bah! It's a.t.t.i.t.u.d.e [​IMG]

5. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    My demon-silkie is at the top of the pecking order! Lol

Even my brahma is sared of her.LOl

6. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Yeah definitely attitude rules - Snow White will rush over to peck the other pullets as they get mated by my rooster. She pushes her way into the food arena when there are treats involved and struts around like she owns the joint. I am worried about her when those Lavender Orpingtons get even bigger - which presumably they will. She may get taken down by one of them because Ariel, the lead pullet of the LO is just as big of a bully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by