The tops of my eggs look like they are "browning". Is this normal?

cotekim

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 11, 2013
Buffalo, NY
This is my first time incubating eggs. I have 12 Coturnix Quail eggs and 3 Button Quail eggs. We are on Day 9 of incubation. I have 3 thermometers in the incubator. The temperature has been steady at 99.5 F. I had some trouble dialing in the humidity level at first. I would put a wet paper towel in the incubator and it would shoot up to 70% then I would take it out and it would go down to 30%. I finally discovered that it is the SURFACE AREA of water that matters and put a tiny little cup of water in there and it has stayed pretty steady at around 40-50% now. I candled the eggs on Day 6 and I could see blood vessels growing nicely in all of the eggs. Now, on Day 9, I can see that there is some good density happening at the fat end of the eggs. However, as you can see from the photo below, the tops of some of the eggs look like they are getting "browned"??? Other than that, things seem to be progressing nicely. Is this "browning" normal? Has anyone ever seen this before?

The brown-est ones are the top row left egg and the top row third to the right.

Day 9 candling. Density increasing at the fat end of the egg. See-through area at the skinny end. This is the brown-est egg on the top left.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!

It could be the egg is discoloring due to the chick breathing. Be sure you are letting enough fresh air into the incubator. I only hatched once and I never paid that close of attention to the egg colors. Anyone else??? help???

mine are on day seven doing the exact same thing. I'm honestly not to worried as temp is holding 100. If you think there gettin burnt or something take them off the turner and hand turn so it's farther away from the heater

I've not seen this before. It could be the light-coloured bloom on the egg browning (from age) from the warmth & moisture of the incubator/chick. I wouldn't think it's actually cooking at all, so long as your incubation seems to be going on normally. Maybe put in a thermometer right beside the browning ones just to rule that out though?

One hatched on Saturday, the rest hatched on Monday. Here's a link to my Flickr set of the chicks: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15555545@N07/sets/72157636889570085/ . Thanks for the support! One of the "browning" eggs turned out not to be fertilized. The other hatched in the night, so I'm not sure who was inside. It was either Khaleesi, Cabriolet Sauvignon or Filet-O. Either way, it didn't seem to be a problem. It was probably just the pigment on the eggs. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom