The Trainer on Retainer

Jaeger_S2k

Chirping
Mar 11, 2019
Greetings from Lancashire, Staining. Easterleigh Animal Sanctuary.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Completely new and having to learn as I've been tasked to build a new chicken coop!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have 6, ex battery hens, and 1 cockrell rescued. The hens had no hair (feathers) when they arrived but they are all beginning to look quite pretty now and are enjoying the freedom they have. They're not so good at climbing the rungs to get higher up but I'm hoping that will change and they will learn?

(3) What breeds do you have?
No idea, but I'll try to find out, if not I'll post a picture and you can tell me. I can say they're happy chickens.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
The first is we have given these chickens a longer and more fulfilled life, but the eggs are a benefit.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I'm a radio ham, if I ever get time. I'll start again one day. I like to recycle and collect logs and wood for the wood burner. We walk, a lot and also enjoy exploring new places by car, then on foot.
I volunteer at Easterleigh Animal Sanctuary as well as being their dog trainer and Behaviour Consultant.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Married to the patient and wonderful Penny. We rescue dogs, have 4 Dobermann Oscar Brown, Vivienne Black, Gracy May Brown and Jean Bean Brown. We've also got 2 rescue cats, Lily and Nancy, they're sisters. Lily is actually a lifetime foster and we had to have her if we had Nancy. Lily is our BOGOF, she's only got 3 full paws, her back right paw only has 1 toe and it's shorter that the other back leg, but we love her for that.
I'm a Dog Trainer and Behaviour Consultant, also like to build things and make useful items in both wood and metal.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Found it looking for Coop plans, glad I did! Known about our little secret for about 2 months. Joined because it's what you should do, enjoy a community so support a community.

:yesss: :welcome :yesss:
Miss Piggy Sue says, “Welcome to our eggcelent flock here at BYC!”

511B085A-22E7-4C45-B9AA-EADB7BA0FFE0.jpeg

Hi DobieLover,
I meant a ramp, we have them but they seem alien to them. Which they are.
I'm hoping the new coop will encourage new things from them all and I'm building a largish coop as we won't stay at just 6, the women here are crazy!
Bklue, we sometimes call Isabella (I think?) I love the colour. We have , as you've guessed 1 black and 3 (nutter) browns.

Hi and welcome to BYC from across the M62

Here are some links to key resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Welcome! Lovely intro, thanks for volunteering at the sanctuary, rescue of your pets and now caring for the feathered rescues!! Ex battery hens have to learn and adjust to things we would expect chickens to know.... with a little more time they’ll hopefully start using the ramps and enjoy roosting a bit higher. Maybe placing a few treats on the ramp will entice them to explore and gradually take some steps up? Build big.... chicken math is real, you may find that your flock grows quickly ;)

Back
Top Bottom