The True Breed of my old Chickens? Plymouth Rock or Something else?

Blazinga

Crowing
Sep 27, 2020
I was looking back at some old photos from when I used to have chickens and upon further inspection, I'm not exactly sure what breed they actually are. My aunt had given me some eggs to hatch back then and said that they would be Barred Rocks. The chicks father, Petey, I remember being a pure Plymouth Barred Rock. She had a few varieties of hens at the time, but I remember a few being barred.

These were the egg colors they came from roughly, all light brown.
Egg Colors.PNG

This is my firstborn. A very smart Rooster named Moontip. At the time I thought his puffy little cheeks were just a cute little trait of his, but looking more into the breed standard, I'm curious why he has those muffs. I assume he is part EE or Ameraucana due to the muffs.
Moontip.PNG

Seeing as he probably is a mix of some sort I wanted to look into what his sisters' heritage was.
The flock.PNG

the flock 2.PNG

I've heard Plymouth rocks can be confused with Cuckoo Marans so I'm wondering if that might be the case for any of them. All have single combs if that helps.
legs 1.PNG
legs 2.PNG

Curiously, Nightstar had the yellowest legs as compared to her siblings. Most of them ended up with this sort of pink salmon color.

If they aren't pure Plymouth, I'm curious what other breeds they might be mixed with. I also wonder why they all turned out with the barring if there were potential mothers with buff or red coloring? My hatch rate was 6/25. Even then, I'm wondering if barring is a dominant feathering?

Last edited:
I was looking back at some old photos from when I used to have chickens and upon further inspection, I'm not exactly sure what breed they actually are. My aunt had given me some eggs to hatch back then and said that they would be Barred Rocks. The chicks father, Petey, I remember being a pure Plymouth Barred Rock. She had a few varieties of hens at the time, but I remember a few being barred.

These were the egg colors they came from roughly, all light brown.
View attachment 2452964
This is my firstborn. A very smart Rooster named Moontip. At the time I thought his puffy little cheeks were just a cute little trait of his, but looking more into the breed standard, I'm curious why he has those muffs. I assume he is part EE or Ameraucana due to the muffs.
View attachment 2452969
Seeing as he probably is a mix of some sort I wanted to look into what his sisters' heritage was.
View attachment 2452971
View attachment 2452972
I've heard Plymouth rocks can be confused with Cuckoo Marans so I'm wondering if that might be the case for any of them. All have single combs if that helps.
View attachment 2452975View attachment 2452976
Curiously, Nightstar had the yellowest legs as compared to her siblings. Most of them ended up with this sort of pink salmon color.

If they aren't pure Plymouth, I'm curious what other breeds they might be mixed with. I also wonder why they all turned out with the barring if there were potential mothers with buff or red coloring? My hatch rate was 6/25. Even then, I'm wondering if barring is a dominant feathering?
Barring (and the black under barring) is dominant. All chicks of a purebred barred rooster will be barred.

Back
Top Bottom