The true cost of backyard eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kingme, Dec 22, 2009.

1. PO in MO

PO in MO Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2014
    I have kept track of eggs and feed since I got my barred rocks, they were 2 years old this February. They have only gone thru one molt and I do provide artificial light in the winters to give them a 15 hour day and I run a heat lamp if its going to get below about 15 degrees. I have a very tight and insulated coop. The last time I figured costs was about a month ago and I was at about $1.75 a dozen. That includes the cost of the chicks, feed, grit, and scratch. I also feed a rooster so if you took his feed out it would reduce that amount to about $1.60 a dozen. I don't generate much table scraps so they exist pretty much on the feed and what they can scrounge in a 1000 square ft. pen I move every couple of weeks. They do get a lot of tomatoes in the summer but that's about it.

2. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Do you figure in your heat lamp? I sure notice a spike in my electric bill when I have to run a heat lamp for chicks and it is quite a bit.

3. PO in MO

PO in MO Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2014
    No, I don't count that. I know it is a cost but in my climate my chickens would survive without it. I just choose to do it so I don't count it. A 250 watt heat lamp on 12 hours costs me about 33 cents a night on a cold night and it's just not that much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by