The truth about most dogs lives.

Wouldn't they be better off shooting the dogs?
Sadly, I've shot loads of dogs and they all drop stone dead, no messing about with needles or whatever. Shotgun wounds don't look pretty, but they are very effective.

I'm not quite sure what the 'Shelter Manager' is complaining about; he runs a shelter for dogs so people can dump their dogs there when they are fed up with them. It's rather like opening up a rehab clinic and then complaining everyone that comes to the clinic is a junkie.

I'm not disagreeing with the prinicipal of "don't buy a puppy if you don't want a dog". It just seems odd to me someone in that position would go off on a rant about his own facility and perhaps should be looking for a more gratifying occupation.

Quote:
That's how I got my dog!! She was in the shelter for two years, had a litter of puppies and the original owners dumped her in the park!!!!!!!!
Isn't it odd, (and good) that some people treat their dogs like garbage, and someone else will take that dog and treat her like the Crown Jewels????
Even more fascinating, is that the dog realizes it...........................and never forgets!

Quote:
In that case, I respect your choice to buy from a breeder. I think good breeders who care about their dogs are truly good people who are trying to help the breed. Around here though, you can go in and see people bringing in their pets. Just sit in their office for one hour, you will see adult dogs and cats, as well as whole litters of puppies and kittens. It is truly sad to see.
sad.png
I am sorry you have had such bad luck with shelters.
smile.png

Quote:
That's how I got my dog!! She was in the shelter for two years, had a litter of puppies and the original owners dumped her in the park!!!!!!!!
Isn't it odd, (and good) that some people treat their dogs like garbage, and someone else will take that dog and treat her like the Crown Jewels????
Even more fascinating, is that the dog realizes it...........................and never forgets!

Agree with that too!

My mother got a rescue golden retriever who never left her side. I adopted a Great Dane from a shelter who never left my side. Now, my mother owns a different golden who hides from here when she comes up to visit us and it's time to go home (he wants to stay) and if I go down to visit my mom, my dog will hide because SHE doesn't want to leave either. Toby and Freya (the rescue/shelter dogs) would NEVER have done that

Quote:

How right you are! Our huskie mix, Wallace (WallE!) was beaten for howling. He has never howled here. Our greyhound mix, Dory, would cower when I swept the floor. She was abandoned on the street. It has taken us 5 years to get her calm, but worth every minute. Our other dog is a miniature dachund, Mary, and we are her 3rd, and final home. She is considered damaged material as she has one blue eye. Sweeter dogs you'll never find, and I know the first 2 would never be adopted from a shelter.

high-kill shelters are terrible. it's amazing the excuses people come up with for not keeping their animals-i read one that said the owners couldn't keep their dog because it was drinking out of their pool! if they don't want it drinking poolwater, they can just keep the poor thing away from the pool! both the cat's i've had have come from shelters. the one i still have was born stray and taken to the shelter. she was SUPPOSED to be an indoor only cat, but she is just fine going outside, too. shelters aren't necessarily bad, but i think the animals are better off wild than dead. my rabbit came to me in a similar way. i caught him when he was a baby, running wild at a local farmstand. they have many domestic rabbits, a few of which escaped and reproduced because they never had them fixed. in succession, the baby rabbits were being caged and/or killed. the one i rescued was lucky- he is now has a hutch and run outside and a cage inside for bad weather and at night. i am perfectly fine ADOPTING from shelters, but i'd never take an animal to one.

Quote:
Sorry to disagree on this one but my farm needed a puppy to be trained as a livestock guardian dog, and the only one available was a great pyrenees from a farmer down the road. Every shelter I looked at REQUIRED a fence for the dog and NEEDED to invade my family's privacy by inspecting our home and calling for personal references.

That is a very good post! We have bought all of our dogs from breeders. We were going to adopt our 3 & 4 but they were to protect the chickens and we weren't sure we could trust them. When I get a little older I would love to rescue a dog. Here is a link to a dog that I would really like to get but for now we can't afford more:
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16110346

I met him at one of the Humane adoption stands and he is really sweet. It just breaks my heart to see him there like that!

Matthew

Quote:
Sorry to disagree on this one but my farm needed a puppy to be trained as a livestock guardian dog, and the only one available was a great pyrenees from a farmer down the road. Every shelter I looked at REQUIRED a fence for the dog and NEEDED to invade my family's privacy by inspecting our home and calling for personal references.

This is true too. I would have adopted several dogs by now, but some even asked me for my income!!! They made it like they didn't want to let me have a dog and I am quite capable of taking care and providing for it.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom