The turkeys keep dying!

Quote:
What type of wood chips are you using? and has the litter gotten wet or damp? If it's cedar get rid of it and use pine. Straw is bad as well as it gets wet and molds and causes respritory problems. If you are using regular chick feed it's to low in protien but that won't cause them to die, just grow slower. We always use medicated feed.

Okay I seen you posted their age as I was posting my org. post.

the brooder room is prolly around 60 degrees there are 3 heat lamps and some of the smaller poults are confined to troughs with heat lamp.

At a month old you will need to bring the brooder temps up to around 80 deg.

Still make the water mixture and boiled eggs for them as described in my org. post.

They will need the water mixture for now with the molasses in it for the next week till they get back on their feet. After that I would stop the molasses and knock the Apple Cider Vinegar down to 1TSP per gallon of water. Then continue the Vinegar in the water till they are around 10-12 weeks old. This is important if you are choosing to not use medicated feeds. SMART CHOICE !!! They don't need it.

- What is the protein % in the feed you are feeding them ??

- The size of brooder they are in ??​

the protien is around 19%

A turkey starter diet of 28% protein should be fed until 8 weeks of age

If you are using regular chick feed it's to low in protien but that won't cause them to die, just grow slower.

Actually they can die if they don't have enough protein in their feed at a young age. As their skeletal won't grow to their body and can cause alot of problems.

hey have about a 10x 8 space

As long as you are under 40 poults thats good.​

Yeah i need to talk to George because i think the feed may not be good enough, bur i really am not sure what the protien is. I just check on them sometimes, george owns them. They definately have enough space there are like 20 left. Thank you so much for your help

You go Harp you're the expert

Thanks Steve, but I'm no expert, just trying to help out.

Even if you get everything back on track, you are still going to see loses for 24-48 hrs. as their might be some that just have gone too long. Poults are very fragile and once they start to go they usually go.

Check back in the next day or two with an update.​

Back
Top Bottom