The Twisted Breed Project

Update!

All hens except the hedemora have been laying. They started around 20 weeks. Stuck a few eggs in the incubator and they seem to be developing well. Going to try to hatch out 6. Also decided to add a Russian orloff into the mix. I bought 6 eggs from breeder lines. Mostly for temperament than anything but we will see how they mature with the layers before making decisions.

The Svarthona is becoming quite the little butt. Constantly challenging me and terrorizing the hens. I’m eager to hatch out some pullets from him in case he’s gotta go but I’m also going to hang onto him in case he’s just being a hormonal teenager. I’ll give it until September/October or in a perfect world until some of my new pullets start laying. Otherwise I’ll put him in with every hen I have (even the egg layers), pray for some docility from extra hens and wait for the new pullets to mature.

I also got a box of mystery greenfire eggs (that o don’t need) who knows maybe I’ll get something in there. My plan is already to have any Roos from that go to the freezer and any hens join the layer flock. Very excited for the mystery!

Definitely following, awesome idea and awesome breeding strategy. If your svart is already moody he would do well with more hens and no other roos. A lot of people consider it a bad thing, but I've found that in a free-range flock, the moodier more violent roos do a better job at protecting the flock and mating all the hens.

Definitely following, awesome idea and awesome breeding strategy. If your svart is already moody he would do well with more hens and no other roos. A lot of people consider it a bad thing, but I've found that in a free-range flock, the moodier more violent roos do a better job at protecting the flock and mating all the hens.
I agree with that. And I’m thinking I will separate them over the winter only because I won’t be able to fit The proper number of hens in that coop with two roosters.

Just put a few eggs into lockdown. There is at least one 55 flowery and the others are fayoumi and fayoumiX (that little fayoumi cross has been laying a medium tinted egg a day, sometimes two, very Impressed). The hedemora hen had not started laying - they are 6 months old.

I’m thinking Svarthona babies will have clean legs and hedemoras will have lightly feathered legs. All should have varying degrees of fibro.

I agree with that. And I’m thinking I will separate them over the winter only because I won’t be able to fit The proper number of hens in that coop with two roosters.

Just put a few eggs into lockdown. There is at least one 55 flowery and the others are fayoumi and fayoumiX (that little fayoumi cross has been laying a medium tinted egg a day, sometimes two, very Impressed). The hedemora hen had not started laying - they are 6 months old.

I’m thinking Svarthona babies will have clean legs and hedemoras will have lightly feathered legs. All should have varying degrees of fibro.
Best luck! Are these all fathered by the svart?

Update with pics. These are my two keepers. I believe they are both Svarthona x Fayoumi

tempImageW1aZvQ.jpg

Here are the others

tempImagefUTeTA.jpg

tempImageu93uxF.jpg
tempImage0SdgrI.jpg

Back
Top Bottom