The Ultimate Newbie Question!

I have roughly 60 birds of various ages. I feed a mixture of feed depending on what stage of growth and what the end purpose of the bird is to be.... I have orpingtons, turkens, and standard egg layers like red sex links...... I buy feed roughly every other week and usually buy 50# of layer, 100# of grower, 100# of game cock conditioner, 25# of chick starter and 50# of finisher. Plus 10# of grit and 5# of calcium and maybe a 25# bag of scratch a month.

75% of my birds are in pens and the others free range. We do give treats like lettuce and vegetables as well. I seem to go through the most amount of feed from 8 weeks to 4 months when the chicks are really growing out.

A good number for your average layer is .25 pounds per bird, per day. This can vary depending upon feed quality, how much nutrition they are getting elsewhere, and temperature. If it's cold outside they will eat more to make up for energy that they are expending to stay warm.

Get a good quality 16 or 17% layer feed and let them eat what they want. If you withhold any feed that they need, they will start dropping body weight and egg production will suffer. 50 birds should be eating around 375 lbs a month, close to a bag every 4 days. Even more in cold weather.

If you have layers, you can offer food all day every day. Supplementing with fruits and veggies will mean they go through less feed.

If you have meaties, I heard you're not supposed to feed them all day, they can overeat and die from too much fat clogging up their system, and lead to broken legs. Feed them in the morning (Not sure how much, find a recommended daily intake and give them 1/2 of that) and then feed them again at night.

Couple of quick questions though.. Why are you starting with so many? Seems like an overload that could lead to you hating all the work you have to put into the birds.

And How much space do they have? If they're bored they'll end up eating more, whereas if you entertain them (Plenty of space, hang lettuce from the top of their pen) their likely to eat less because they have better things to do than live head down bum up in the feeder.

EDIT: as for waterers... Lots! They can go longer without food than water. Make sure they're always full, and that the ones lower on the pecking order aren't getting bullied away from them. I'd say 2, maybe 3 depending on how much space you have.

Last edited:
Sorry, I missed the part about them being 8 weeks old. They should be on good quality starter/grower feed, I'd suggest around 18% protein. I can only go by my management guide for our commercial sex-links which says around .1 lb per bird at that age increasing to .2 lb per bird at 20 weeks of age. Obviously your results will vary, but you should be feeding them all they will eat. They won't overeat, but eat what they need.

Quote:
This.

My meat birds were averaging 50# a week. In the beginning, we went 10 days on a bag of feed, and at the end we were getting about 5.

My laying birds eat nowhere near that much.

All my birds, regardless of type, get a lot of supplemental feeding with kitchen scraps.

My flock always has food available. But I think a couple of my BO girls are FAT. Are you sure they won't over eat? I was thinking of limiting their food, but they haven't stared laying yet. They're 22 weeks. BTW they do like their lettuce hung up rather than on the ground. A 100lbs of feed last 2 weeks for 25 FS layers; 2 Australorps, 11 BOs and 12 Ameraucanas/EEs. Ages 22 to 29 weeks old. Roughly 1/4 lb (.25) per bird per day. The group that is outside all the time (totally enclosed dog pen with roof and playhouse) definately eat more than the ones who are locked up in the coop at night.

Last edited:
I have 25 chickens......mostly Black Stars......no broilers.

They eat approx. 250 lbs of feed per month. (generally a combination of 22% layer crumbles or pellets and scratch.)

They are always hungry and would eat MORE if I fed them more often. (I feed 2 times a day.)

They SEEM healthy.

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Quote:
Sounds like they are right on track to me. BO's always look large, but they are mostly feathers. The ones that are outside should be eating more, especially if they are getting more exercise, in addition to it being a little cooler outside. I wouldn't withhold any feed, not if you want to get eggs soon.

Quote:
as much as they can, really... if they haven't started laying yet, they need to be on starter or finsher or grower, or something with a higher protein content than regular layer feed.

Quote:
doesn't matter if they're in or out, rain or shine, those feeders should always be full, no matter how much they're eating.

Quote:
again, food should always be available. they have VERY fast metabolisms and they eat ALL the time. they're not like cats or dogs who might have "feeding times".... keep the food in front of the chickens at all times! as for water, same rule applies. make sure they have access to clean fresh water at all times. if the waterers aren't empty or dirty, you're fine. if they're running out of water, then you need more.

Back
Top Bottom