1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Universally Accepted Age of a Pullet

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Olufemi Muftau, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Olufemi Muftau

Olufemi Muftau New Egg

Jan 3, 2016
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Dear farmer friends, i appreciate you all for accepting into the educative forum about poultry birds, but first, let me wish everyone in the house a wonderful and prosperous new year ahead. I have a lot of questns begging for answs regarding poultry birds on my mind among which is:
    what is the generally accepted definition of pullets in poultry, pls be detailed and specific and if possible, state souce cos i have 16 weeks of 600 layers mixed some cocks brooded in my pen right now. From what age to what age do i refer to them as pullets? Thanks

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! A happy new year to you too!! My understanding is they are called pullets untill they reach the age of one year. Then they become hens. After one year of age.

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future, enjoy BYC :frow

3. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    A pullet is defined as "a female chicken under one year of age". A hen is "a female chicken over one year of age".

A cockerel is a "male chicken under one year of age". A cock is "a male chicken over one year of age".

4. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! If you have any other questions feel free to ask. A pullet is any female bird that is under a year old. Once the pullet is a year old they are a hen. Cockerel is any male bird under a year and a cock is any male bird over a year old. Maybe use us as a source.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You have your answer so I'll just wish you a happy new year and say hello, it's nice to have you here!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, happy that you joined the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by