The Universally Accepted Age of a Pullet

Olufemi Muftau

Hatching
Jan 3, 2016
Lagos, Nigeria
Dear farmer friends, i appreciate you all for accepting into the educative forum about poultry birds, but first, let me wish everyone in the house a wonderful and prosperous new year ahead. I have a lot of questns begging for answs regarding poultry birds on my mind among which is:
what is the generally accepted definition of pullets in poultry, pls be detailed and specific and if possible, state souce cos i have 16 weeks of 600 layers mixed some cocks brooded in my pen right now. From what age to what age do i refer to them as pullets? Thanks

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! A happy new year to you too!! My understanding is they are called pullets untill they reach the age of one year. Then they become hens. After one year of age.

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future, enjoy BYC :frow

A pullet is defined as "a female chicken under one year of age". A hen is "a female chicken over one year of age".

A cockerel is a "male chicken under one year of age". A cock is "a male chicken over one year of age".

Dear farmer friends, i appreciate you all for accepting into the educative forum about poultry birds, but first, let me wish everyone in the house a wonderful and prosperous new year ahead. I have a lot of questns begging for answs regarding poultry birds on my mind among which is:
what is the generally accepted definition of pullets in poultry, pls be detailed and specific and if possible, state souce cos i have 16 weeks of 600 layers mixed some cocks brooded in my pen right now. From what age to what age do i refer to them as pullets? Thanks

Welcome to BYC! If you have any other questions feel free to ask. A pullet is any female bird that is under a year old. Once the pullet is a year old they are a hen. Cockerel is any male bird under a year and a cock is any male bird over a year old. Maybe use us as a source.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

You have your answer so I'll just wish you a happy new year and say hello, it's nice to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom