The Weigh Station - Our Chicken Coop

Ladysonja

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Porter, Texas
After six long hard weekends of smashed fingers (with hammer), red wasp stings, ants in Gatorade, and generally being tore up by hard wire, The Weigh Station is finaly open for business.

The 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Buff Orphingtons, & 2 Rhode Island Reds are happy in their well built home and the neighbor kids learned a few new words -
hmm.png

For those of you who know Truck Driver Lingo, my DH affectionately named our Coop - The Weigh Station.

For all weigh stations are known as Chicken Coops by truck drivers and all drivers want to know if they are "Open" for business. Most get a green light and keep on driving while others Lay an Egg for the ticket they are written by the cops for being out of compliance with DOT regs.

Our coop started out as an 8' x 12' fourty year old tool shed.

For it's age, the roof was in good condition and kept the floor from rotting out. We only had to replace a few boards in the process.

After several trips to Sears, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and Lowes, we were able to find all the parts we needed to get the job done during the month of August in SE Texas.

We used 1/2 x 1/2 hard wire (buried as suggested with staples & washer/screws - also suggested), treated lumber, and added a partial tin roof for shade during the mid-day sun and rainy Spring/Fall days on the 12' x 15' run.

Inside, DH built a four step roost for the girls and we will have about 8 tp 10 nesting boxes. The girls are only about 13 weeks so we will add the boxes at a later date. We shingled the roof at a slight angle and finished out the inside. We painted the inside and layed flooring for easy clean up.

All we need to do is put some fill dirt in the run. There are a few low spots that need attention and the hard wire along the front needs to be buried a bit to keep the preditors from diggin in from under the coop.

We are so proud and hope you enjoy the pictures.

13786_one.jpg

13786_two.jpg

13786_three.jpg

13786_five.jpg

13786_four.jpg

13786_six.jpg

13786_seven.jpg

13786_eight.jpg

13786_nine.jpg

13786_eleven.jpg

13786_ten.jpg

What would we do without those DH!!! It doesn't even look like the same old shed. Talk about a complete remodel!! Tell him he did a wonderful job, it looks great. The nicest looking hen house on the block. Congrats !!!!
D.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
ya.gif

Beautifully done in during an August month in Texas! That took a lot of 'stick to itness' I'll bet.
big_smile.png
The remodel is perfect. Your husband did a really nice job with everything. It all looks so sturdy and protective. Love the red color!

If I may
smile.png
I might mention that you'll probably only need a couple of nest boxes now with six chickens... and that they'l probably all use only one nest anyway! The other nests they may roost in and soil.

Thanks for all the photographs! I enjoy these photos of such wonderful coops & runs.

Carla

Carla

LadySonjas "builder" here. Glad you like the coop, I was going to put about 8 nesting boxes, 4 wide 2 high with a cover over at least 4 till they are needed. The six birds in there now are just the begining, we have 9 more in the brooder box and most likely will add more as time goes by. I'm trying to plan for the future as we go given the size of shed we started with, if we end up with the amount of birds the shed will accomodate we will probably expand the run someday too.

Back
Top Bottom