The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Mine started at 23 weeks.....most will start within the typical 18-26 weeks, unless they are from a breeders line that starts later.
If you are in the northern hemisphere, pullets getting close to POL at this time of year may be somewhat delayed due to the decreasing sunlight.
Size doesn't have much to do with sexual maturity.

New layers can be quite goofy acting, they don't know what they are doing at first and can be confused and anxious, it can take up to a month or so before they get it all figured out. Putting some fake eggs or golf balls in the nest might help show them where to lay. They may scratch around in the nests for weeks before laying, spreading the bedding everywhere. They will scratch around a bit less in nest as they get used to the routine. Meanwhile, eggs everywhere, some of them can be rather funky looking, soft or thin shelled, huge double yolked eggs.

Signs of onset of lay---I've found the pelvic points to be the most accurate.
Squatting:
If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
Tho not all birds will do this, especially if there's a cockbird in the flock.
This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

Vent Appearance:
Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Thank you! I think we've got a bit to go. She's such a character. The boss of my group.

You might be able to find Whitmore chicken line at a local farmer meet. My local hardware store has a poultry swap meet each month in non winter months as well as my local tractor supply store. I haven't used them but see them advertised.

I got my wellie day old pullets at a local feed store and sure they came from a big poultry company and had to go in search of cockerls which I found a lady an hour drive from me who raises wellies from whitmore and got a cockerl from her. He is beautiful.. this spring I hope to hatch more wellies with hens doing the work.
Best wishes

So glad you like Whitmore. I can't use 25 chick minimum orders but thought Whitmore would be a good choice for Wellies. Whitmore's been around a while.

Have you thought about getting 25 and selling the birds you can't keep? They are great quality, so you should fetch a good price for them. I sold off quite a few, which was good.

Have you thought about getting 25 and selling the birds you can't keep? They are great quality, so you should fetch a good price for them. I sold off quite a few, which was good.

I have thought about splitting an order with someone else, or donating the chicks for sale at our local feed store, but since I only want ONE pullet it is more work, time, and money than I care to invest. I have a source not too far from home if I want Wellies - just wouldn't be Whitmore's.

Good info on Wellie POL @aart . We're waiting on our girl yet. Hatched in Mid May. So we are Way ready for her any day. But I'm not using lights and we are after all on some of our shortest days. Got a little sunshine yesterday...but it's such weird light this time of year...so low in the sky and not there for very long. Snow we got is melting and girls were on grass yesterday with Junior, the rooster. Fun to see them grazing again after a good two weeks of snow cover.

I checked those little pelvic bones and there's no huevos anytime soon. Now I've got big German hands/fingers. Nonetheless I think my daughter could have done this test and had the same result. Checked an EE I had and she's a ways off yet too.

Back
Top Bottom