The worst kind of predator

Jasmine1998

Songster
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Montgomery County
Today I lost 3 of my girls. They were 10 weeks old. 2 barred rocks & 1 GLW. My dog killed them in under a minute. She did not eat them, just snapped their neck & went on to the next. She escaped from our enclosed deck. Luckily my husband was outside & caught her. We knew she would do this if she ever got out so we always try to be careful with her.
hit.gif

Good thing for us Bob stepped up & took care of his ladies. We had 12 birds total. After the attack we could only find the GLW Roo. The Brahma roo (Bob) & the 7 remaing ladies we all missing. We walked all over our 9 acres looking for them & could not find them. Then we started to go over to the neighbors property & my husband heard a small noise. We went over to check it out fearing the worst & found that Bob had hidden his ladies in a ditch covered with brush. The only one you could barely see was Bob & that was because he was still looking out for any danger.
hide.gif
All of his ladies were fine, a little scared but not a mark on them. I am very upset about losing them but I am very thankful for Bob, I think he will make a fine Roo when he grows up.

So sorry about your bird's.We don't have problem's with our dog's here.Our 7 year old poodle moved here when he was about 2 and he is Coool with the bird's.We have re-homed some dropped dog's also.We just took in a Pom mix a bit ago and he did chase the bird's a couple day's at first but he is good now and goe's to coop's with NP.Some dog's just don't mix with poultry you have to decide which you want more sometime's.

I would never get rid of the dog. She has been a house dog for 10 years & has never escaped from the deck before. It is enclosed & she had to get through lattice & then screening. When we have her outside she is always on a leash because we know she would do something like this. She has always had a high prey drive. I am very sad about losing my hens, but at the same time this has been a valuable lesson to me & know I know that she cannot be trusted alone on the deck.

Sorry for your loss. It happens in the blink of an eye. What breed is your dog? Mine is obnoxiously curious, but too afraid of the birds when it comes down to it. I think he also has zero hunting skills too. But I still watch him. I sometimes wonder WHY he doesn't eat one. Lesson well learned. Glad you had a great protective roo too!

My indoor doxie is the same way - High prey drive, but great dog. If she gets out it's usually because she just darts out if she thinks she sees a chicken. I always catch up to her before she kills them, but if I were not there to stop her they would be dead in a matter of minutes. Sometimes these things happen even when you are being vigillent.

Back
Top Bottom