The Wyandotte Bantam Thread

I am thinking about getting Wyandotte Bantams.  They are so beautiful.  I live in a very tiny urban lot. I am planning on 4 in a coop that will be 4 x  5ft and a run that will be 8 x 5 feet.  I plan on letting them free range 3 or 4 times per week for a few hours a day.  I have 2 questions:

Will they be happy enough in this environment or should I go for a more docile breed?

Can they be friendly enough to be held and cuddled?  I have 2 girls--8 and 10--and they are wanting "pet" chickens.

Other breed varieties I was contemplating were as follows:
Pekin chickens which I can't seem to find at any hatchery
Bantam Cochins (but I worry about their feathered feet and doing well in Wisconsin winters)
Bantam Orpingtons.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Lisa

I love Wyandotte. In think the bantam would be great for a backyard setting. Mine are great with kids and great layers.

I am thinking about getting Wyandotte Bantams.  They are so beautiful.  I live in a very tiny urban lot. I am planning on 4 in a coop that will be 4 x  5ft and a run that will be 8 x 5 feet.  I plan on letting them free range 3 or 4 times per week for a few hours a day.  I have 2 questions:

Will they be happy enough in this environment or should I go for a more docile breed?

Can they be friendly enough to be held and cuddled?  I have 2 girls--8 and 10--and they are wanting "pet" chickens.

Other breed varieties I was contemplating were as follows:
Pekin chickens which I can't seem to find at any hatchery
Bantam Cochins (but I worry about their feathered feet and doing well in Wisconsin winters)
Bantam Orpingtons.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Lisa

I think the Wyandottes would work perfectly.

Yes, feathered feet can be a big problem with mud or wet snow... :sick

Pekin is the British term for Cochins, same breed.

Orpingtons would probably also work well.

hi, i just got what i believe is a bantam blue wyandotte but there were also japanese black tailed bantams in the same brooder. could you tell me if this guy is in fact a wyandotte? also, i know its early (he is about 8-10 days old now) but would anyone be able to tell me if he is a rooster (we are assuming so but you never know)...

wings today

wings last week

Back
Top Bottom