The Wyandotte Thread

I have picked up my new Wyandotte silver lace chicks.
ya.gif
I found a picture of the babies online. This made it so much easier to identify the ones I wanted.
They have started really nice and are so fun to watch!! I love to watch my chicks!
ginmiller

We bought 15 GLW a month ago. I *think* I have 2 roos out of the bunch, though I only ordered 1. I'd like to breed them. Here's one of them. They are just 4 weeks. I need to get a better, profile picture.

Wyandottes are fairly slow maturing breed, you will start to get an idea of quality of your birds by the time they are 4-5month old.
The males are at their best by the time they are about year to 18 month old.

Trying to get decent quality jubilee bleu Wyandotte bantams. This year I'm starting to come close. As they mature, they start showing some potential.

2 cockerels

3 hens (only one of them is a true blue jubilee, the two others are split for the mottled gene)

Lovely! How do you breed? Are you breeding father to daughter or mother to son or do you have two or three separate pairs? I'm not educated AT ALL in chicken breeding but this is how we breed turkeys, so please don't be offended if I'm waaaay off base.

Lovely! How do you breed? Are you breeding father to daughter or mother to son or do you have two or three separate pairs? I'm not educated AT ALL in chicken breeding but this is how we breed turkeys, so please don't be offended if I'm waaaay off base.

Actually these are F2 from two separate strains.
I started by putting a jubilee rooster together with a splash hen and a blue laced golden hen.
From both crossings I kept the best F1 pullets and this year they were put together with a different jubilee rooster (not related).
Now the blue F2 pullets will go with a non related jubilee rooster, the best blue F2 cockerel will be paired with non related hens.

Starting flock

F1 x different rooster

Rooster that will be used next year

I might even use an Ancona bantam to check if I can improve their markings (they are quickly turning out to be too white)

Wow, what a process! Do you keep each generation separated in pens/coops to prevent breeding?

I might hold on to the F1 hens a little longer, but the original breeders (splash hens and blue laced gold) are already gone to different breeders.
When it comes to pens, I might consider a new organization... I'll need more pens on the same space but still want to give the animals enough space to do their thing.
From the first hatch, there are 4 roosters and 6 hens that made it through the last selection round.
The idea now is to put the blue pullets together with a pure jubilee rooster and one of the blue cockerels will be put together with pure jubilee hens.

Back
Top Bottom