The Wyandotte Thread

LOL...well if you decide to chuck them, chuck them my way would you? I have 5 roos out there and 4 hens. The hens have ok lacing but are splash. I am going to play around with the roosters this winter. Maybe what I will do is put 2 hens with the dark roo and 2 with the reg roo and see what chicks I like best. This way come spring they will be old enough for me to tell whos good and whos not.

I can understand after 5 years of breeding one line you would get sick of the same ole breed. When I first started I bought all kinds of hens of different breeds. At that time I just wanted eggs but now I am more interested in just a few so I sold off everything and kept Marans, Showgirls, Silkies, BLRW, Welsummers, Polish. Those are the birds I am going to play around with for a while.

We do have a few other breeds here that are just for laying. I have a slw that belongs to my daughter, I am thinking about crossing her with my frizzle cochin rooster just to have a little fun.

Looking at the picture of Bill Guardhouse's Cockerel really drives home the point I was trying to make about the BLRW...I have yet to see a BLRW that looks like that..

I wonder if that is the same cockerel that won BB at Columbus?

Quote:
Still new to this breed...

I see the type to go for in that photo. That bird's shape is nothing like my BLR cockerel.
ep.gif
What breed did they cross to get BLR's? I am surprised how far off from type the BLR's are.

This is our 2nd coop of birds we are growing out. We have two strains we are working on, and will be incorporating birds from either pen to get what we desire. These birds are 'our' line at this point. The ones above were purchased as day-old-chicks, so we have kept them separate until we know what we want to combine.

Our original rooster:
13020_dscf5913.jpg

His son:
13020_dscf5909.jpg

His daughter:
13020_dscf5908.jpg

Flock/Pen # 2:
13020_dscf5911.jpg

Last edited:
I like the hens from the first pen better. the roos from the 2nd pen I like better. I have always like big bodied chickens better so that is just my taste. I'm sure someone else can give you better points on your BLRW's. They are all nice looking./p

Back
Top Bottom