The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
wyandottes take a while to fill out from what i can tell now is the first one looks 2 leggy I like his color better though and the other does not have good type his neck and tail is to high but they have alot of filling out to do though.
#1 looks better than the other
where did you get them?
punky
smile.png

I plan to get a little photo booth going here in the house today and post some more pics of my boys. I have 5 of them. The one I have in the breeding pen right now has not been posted on here yet. I love his coloring and I believe he is my favorite next to the mahogany boy (love his color to). My plans are to get the color nearly perfect then work on type. It's hard for me to tell type just yet because the boys are so young.

So keep your eyes peeled and I will get some pics up. Thanks for your help everyone! I would really like to grow a beautiful line of nearly perfect blrw.

Quote:
I wish you luck on your attempt to breed a perfect line of BLRW....but I think you will find out the following things:

1. No matter how hard you try to breed out the gold-orange color on the hackles..it will keep popping out..usually on the young bird with the best type.

2. The laced feathers make it really, really hard to get a good correct tail on the BLRW.

3. The red on the primary wing feathers has a tendency to be a much lighter color than on the hackles and saddle feathers.

4. Rock type...and pinched tails..not to mention the long backs..

I have been breeding them for 5 years and run into all the above problems, type is much, much better this year, but my color took a step back. Hopefully I can work on color and lacing this coming spring and finally have the BLRW that I have been working toward for so long.

I have much respect for those breeding for color and type on these Wyandottes. I beleive those that recognize that this could be a near life time endeavor will succeed, those that expect a fix in a generation or two will be frustrated and not have success..

Good luck to all of you

22072_henrun.jpg

22072_grouphens2.jpg

Just found this thread. These are 2008 hatched, photo taken Jan 2009.

I've had a closed flock for 5 years, and this year finally have a black laced roo that I am putting on my splash hens for all dark blue chicks.

S

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom