The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
I suppose I could downsize my colors of Silkies.
old.gif
gig.gif

Quote:
No, it's a parasitic disease caused by the coccidian protozoa.

Some SLW and BLRW.

I learn something everyday! Thanks!

And I gotta agree Wyandottes ARE way cuter than Silkies! After all this IS the Official Wyandotte Thread!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I went w/partridge because of the roos. really wish wheaton coloration was available........

If you look at white wyandotte bantams for type, don't expect the partridge to have the same quality of type. too many have more of a cochin butt instead of wyandotte butt. I've seen blacks in past that were almost as good as the white wyandotte bantams. While mine aren't perfect, they are closer to standard than my first ones were.

Meyers hatchery has access to them but they don't advertise them. I wish I could find some in Indiana as I'd like some of a different strain.

Last edited:
Quote:
I went w/partridge because of the roos. really wish wheaton coloration was available........

If you look at white wyandotte bantams for type, don't expect the partridge to have the same quality of type. too many have more of a cochin butt instead of wyandotte butt. I've seen blacks in past that were almost as good as the white wyandotte bantams. While mine are perfect, they are closer to standard than my first ones were.

Meyers hatchery has access to them but they don't advertise them. I wish I could find some in Indiana as I'd like some of a different strain.

Wheaten wyandottes would be great. I love the coloring of my wheaten Marans.

Wheaten would be great as would birchen. Probably have to outcross for the birchen? This is a great thread I am learning alot. Had chickens most of my life and just thought all chickens where kinda all the same. But since this website it aint good.
lol.png
I've been breeding my blue for a few years now trying to improve the lacing it's either very hard or almost impossible. Mike

Not sure how you would go about creating Wheatens really. Would probably have to have Black Breasted Red first to start with. As for the Birchens, I have known breeders who have raised them and have read you can create them by crossing Columbian and Black Wyandottes. Something to try anyway.

I dug around today and found my rare varieties book and also some other books I had. Found all of my old photos, now just need to figure out a way to get them onto a computer so I can share with you guys. Bet I have at least 200 pics of lots of varieties.
Getting back to the rare varieties book, there were several breeds mentioned in it that I had forgotten. It talks about Mottled, Lemon Blue, Self Blue and Blue Breasted Red. I had forgotten about the long article in the book written by the originator of the Dun color, Dr Edgar Petty. Its really pretty interesting.

Back
Top Bottom