The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
It all depends on the strain of each breed. What hatchery they came from, etc.
I had gold laced wyandottes from Stromberg's hatchery which laid 2 eggs every three days when pullets. When they were older, I received 1 large egg every three days. But the hens were so poorly laced they looked like gold penciled rocks.
Surprisingly, my blue laced wyandottes from a breeder lay more frequently, but their eggs remained smaller even after they were over a year old. I know my breeder is to the point where conformation is consistent in their birds and they are able to set the larger eggs and eggs by the more prolific hens.

That being said...sigh...I wish wyandottes as a whole were better layers on par with orpingtons, rocks and RIRs. Perhaps then more people would appreciate what a wonderful dual purpose breed they are.

Quote:
Lol, don't you hate that. My Partridge Wyandottes seem to go broody a lot.

One round of eggs, then they get broody. Good thing I have them for looks and not egg production.

Quote:
Lol, don't you hate that. My Partridge Wyandottes seem to go broody a lot.

One round of eggs, then they get broody. Good thing I have them for looks and not egg production.

I hear ya,lol.. like I said. Mine lay real good till they go broody. They are pretty to look at, that's for sure.

gig.gif
Yep I am getting 1 egg a day right now with a bunch of broodies fighting for rights to the daily 1 egg.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom