The Wyandotte Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roocrazy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Dtrain28

Dtrain28 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    are they purebreds?

2. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Quote:It all depends on the strain of each breed. What hatchery they came from, etc.
    I had gold laced wyandottes from Stromberg's hatchery which laid 2 eggs every three days when pullets. When they were older, I received 1 large egg every three days. But the hens were so poorly laced they looked like gold penciled rocks.
    Surprisingly, my blue laced wyandottes from a breeder lay more frequently, but their eggs remained smaller even after they were over a year old. I know my breeder is to the point where conformation is consistent in their birds and they are able to set the larger eggs and eggs by the more prolific hens.

That being said...sigh...I wish wyandottes as a whole were better layers on par with orpingtons, rocks and RIRs. Perhaps then more people would appreciate what a wonderful dual purpose breed they are.

3. skylinepoultry

skylinepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Old Fort, Tn.
    Quote:Lol, don't you hate that. My Partridge Wyandottes seem to go broody a lot.

4. skylinepoultry

May 22, 2011
    Old Fort, Tn.
    My PW's lay great but go broody every 3 weeks it seems. They're Urch Lines. I just take out the nesting box for a couple days and they start laying after about 4 to 5 dayz.

5. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Quote:Lol, don't you hate that. My Partridge Wyandottes seem to go broody a lot.

One round of eggs, then they get broody. Good thing I have them for looks and not egg production.

6. skylinepoultry

May 22, 2011
    Old Fort, Tn.

One round of eggs, then they get broody. Good thing I have them for looks and not egg production.

I hear ya,lol.. like I said. Mine lay real good till they go broody. They are pretty to look at, that's for sure.

7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    [​IMG] Yep I am getting 1 egg a day right now with a bunch of broodies fighting for rights to the daily 1 egg. [​IMG]

8. skylinepoultry

May 22, 2011
    Old Fort, Tn.
    Quote:Lmao, that's funny. Having a visual now.

9. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    It is kinda cute but hate to admit having to buy store eggs right now.

10. skylinepoultry

May 22, 2011
    Old Fort, Tn.
    Quote:Yeah, I could see that. My wifes like , you got 100's of birds and we can't eat one egg. Lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by