1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Wyandotte Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roocrazy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Mrs. Turbo :

Quote:mmm...tempting!
    Am I on your list for a last set of black wyandottes?
    Colby

yes.... I won't have anymore until June 28th if you can wait that long. they got a little popular this year and I have been shipping them out. The ones growing out here are really looking good, but the black wyandottes like to find water buckets and jump in them. We have to cover everything now.​

That's cool. It's probably my fault since I blabbed a lot how nobody has blacks. Now, they're the flavor of the summer. I have to say those black chicks are the most laid back wyandottes I've known. Maybe it's because I always wear goth black when I tend the birds. [​IMG]

If you have any blues around the same time, I'd love to buy them, too.

We got a blue heeler pup. She's a terror. We named her "Miele" which is Italian for honey.

*Regional president of the Foley Fan Club [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. klen

klen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    PacNW
    anyone around here sell day old Columbian Wyandottes? or hatching this month?

3. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:I am right there with ya! Second round with one of my girls. [​IMG]
    I am sick to death of broodies around here. [​IMG]

Maybe we can get tee-shirts!

4. Elinor's chicks

Elinor's chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2009
    Lexington KY
    Quote:I am right there with ya! Second round with one of my girls. [​IMG]
    I am sick to death of broodies around here. [​IMG]

Maybe we can get tee-shirts!

ha ha - and the reason I wanted to try a Wyandotte or two is because they are supposed to lay so much better than the Brahma and Cochin I have ......(I still think I'd like to try one - especially if they're as laid back as colby318 says).

5. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Hey Elinor,
    All my birds have crooked toes because I step on their feet so much. I tell folks if wyandottes were people, they'd be cool surfer dudes. VERY laid back. [​IMG]

6. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:We have some very nice Standard Columbian Wyandotte, and should have several more hatching, I will try to post some Pics for you on here if all else fails send us an e-mail I will send Pics. We do ship day olds so that is not a problem, we also have about 9 or 10 started birds if you would be interested in some of them.

7. McSpin

McSpin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    South Western NY
    I usually only keep blue phase roosters, but I kept one black laced version last year. I finally got around to taking a photo. I thought the bright sunlight would make the colors look good, but it washed out the nice mahogany color of his hackles. I guess I'll have to wait until it clouds up - which around here should be in about 5 minutes. I've got him in with a group of nice splash hens, so he'll produce 100% blue offspring. Here he is at about 12 months old.

[​IMG]

8. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:Look at that big poofy boy!

9. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:He is gorgeous! [​IMG] I'd love to have him in my breeding pen [​IMG] What lines is he from? I love my 2 black laced red girls from Foley's.

10. McSpin

McSpin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    South Western NY
    Quote:Thanks,

He's from a cross of a Penny Roo with a Foley hen. I raised about 15 of these black laced types, and he's the only one that made the cut, or maybe I should say, didn't make the "cut". I realize that breeders say that you can't judge the blue from a black lace version, but I couldn't resist keeping this one.

Here's a view of him from the front.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by