The Wyandotte Thread

droolin.gif

Where'd you get her?
Quote:

Asking the experts ... the BLRW in front, do you think this is a pullet or a roo ?
Hasn't started crowing yet !
hmm.png

70988_2011_july30_014cut.jpg

70988_2011_july30_015cut.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I am not up to par on show standards. Is that much white good or bad? That is a very good looking bird to me, but it appears that the white is more prominent than on other birds that I have seen.

Quote:

i got her from a woman who was selling out her whole flock, she had several wyandottes, she said they were all 4-H chickens because her son got them through 4-H and i think they showed them at local poutry shows. she had RIR's, Dominiques, Ameraucanas, Jersey Giants, and some others. I got all them 30+ birds in exchange for 3 doz. eggs

So, at the very least, all have the same rooster, 1/3 have the same hen. Breeding the best rooster with any hens would be OK, and may keep the traits that I like. If my rooster and hens are the first line, do I breed the second line hens to the first line rooster, or only to the second line roosters? Cull out of line 2 the traits I do not want? Segregate line 2 or keep hens from 2 with line 1 roos and hens?

Just trying to see if my housing plan is going to work. I am not looking to become a hatchery, but i do love this color of the Wyandotte. I already know people who would want some. Thanks for all of your help.

Quote:
You're right, breeding brother and sister usually isn't a good idea. Just buy some some chicks or a juvie cock from a different breeder.

I think that all depends on how tightly the line has already been bred. each line has its advantages and disadvantages especially when they are still such a work in progress. Line breeding often resolves some issues but will not resolve all the issues. We have had stock from Paul's, Superior, Foley's and one other. Each was breed in thier pens for the first year , comb issues that existed withing one line in particular resulted in 100% cull. Then selctive line crosses to achieve specific goals based on hwat each line had to offer then carefull selection and F1xF1 matings from each line cross and selection for the traits we wanted to retain such as color, type, size, etc. Then selective matings from the f2 offspring of teh line crosses and then breeding the resulting cockrells and pullets and selecting for the desired traits. Line breeding solves problems when carefull selection takes place so long as teh traits you want to achieve exist within the breeder birds.

Back
Top Bottom