The Wyandotte Thread

Finally got some pictures for you all. I'm going to add a second post. I'm not sure how many pics are allowed in each. These guys are about 5 months old. I think the lighter cockerel is about 3 weeks younger.

Strange feather pattern
103981_dscn0742.jpg

With two of the other girls and my RIR
103981_dscn0752.jpg

The two cockerels from the same batch
103981_dscn0774.jpg

Last edited:
All of them together with a BR
103981_dscn0745.jpg

Largest cockerel with a BR, same age
103981_dscn0744.jpg

Please let me know honestly what you think. I know they are not show quality, but I hope to get there someday. They aren't bad birds, and I'm thinking of culling my roos this spring and trying to get a nice one to breed with my girls to improve quality, or possibly get some hatching eggs from a respected breeder. I have 5 SLW from a different breeder in Arkansas that I'm watching and have noticed that the SLW have a "cobbier" body at a comparable age. Not sure what the chicken equivalent to cobby is, but I know it in dogs, so that's how my mind works...lol

I have a breeder stock BLRW lady (her name is Dragon) that has not laid yet and just turned 28 weeks - is that normal? Her EE hatchmate is laying already... are these guys slow developers?

Quote:
I think it's a defect, probably recessive, that came out in her. You can see the pencilling, but it is all smutty and mossy. If you were breeding for color you wouldn't use her as a breeder.

You could actually consider using a nice SL male on the GL females. You would get all silver females and mixed up males, but using one of those males back on the original parents would improve type a lot. Half the F2 females would be golden and half the males would be golden as well.

Quote:
That's an idea! I thought I'd get a mishmash of colors crossing the two. I do have two cockerels in my SLW, so that is deffinately an option. Hoping they'll have great type. Breeding back to the original stock is not an option as I bought my GLW as 1 month olds. My odd girl, I guess, should not be bred and will go into the laying pen when I separate everyone. I have one girl that has an excellent tail, but I think the others will have tails like the parents. It will be my luck the most typey will be my miscolored girl.....They are still really young so I wil wait and see. I got these chickens just for eggs and meat, but the bug has hit me. What is your opinion on the cockerels? The lighter one has horrible lacing, but it did improve after he molted. I figure he will be culled in the spring regardless of how the others turn out.

Quote:
That's an idea! I thought I'd get a mishmash of colors crossing the two. I do have two cockerels in my SLW, so that is deffinately an option. Hoping they'll have great type. Breeding back to the original stock is not an option as I bought my GLW as 1 month olds. My odd girl, I guess, should not be bred and will go into the laying pen when I separate everyone. I have one girl that has an excellent tail, but I think the others will have tails like the parents. It will be my luck the most typey will be my miscolored girl.....They are still really young so I wil wait and see. I got these chickens just for eggs and meat, but the bug has hit me. What is your opinion on the cockerels? The lighter one has horrible lacing, but it did improve after he molted. I figure he will be culled in the spring regardless of how the others turn out.

The one cockerel(the big one?) looks like he has a split wing. They look about like the rest of the birds. But they aren't too young, in my opinion, to make your choices. At least you can make your picks and watch them for a little while longer. If you really are interested in breeding excellent birds, you have to start with something excellent. A couple years down the road you will wish you had if your goals really are to reach that level. Start with the best available. Especially chickens, where, unlike cows, horses, sheep, pigs, etc., the best will not cost you an arm and a leg. An excellent cow will cost you 10-100k, a horse the same, a pig 3-15k, a sheep 2-15k. A chicken: maybe $50-100. Start on the top if that is your goal. All the feed and time and overhead will make chicken purchase cost seem like a drop in the bucket.

Look up the Chicken Calculator online. It is a little complicated, but it's kind of fun
smile.png
You can see what colors you would get with what crosses. It is accurate in that it gives you accurate results. It is not accurate in that it doesn't know if you input accurate data
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom