The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
That's an idea! I thought I'd get a mishmash of colors crossing the two. I do have two cockerels in my SLW, so that is deffinately an option. Hoping they'll have great type. Breeding back to the original stock is not an option as I bought my GLW as 1 month olds. My odd girl, I guess, should not be bred and will go into the laying pen when I separate everyone. I have one girl that has an excellent tail, but I think the others will have tails like the parents. It will be my luck the most typey will be my miscolored girl.....They are still really young so I wil wait and see. I got these chickens just for eggs and meat, but the bug has hit me. What is your opinion on the cockerels? The lighter one has horrible lacing, but it did improve after he molted. I figure he will be culled in the spring regardless of how the others turn out.

The one cockerel(the big one?) looks like he has a split wing. They look about like the rest of the birds. But they aren't too young, in my opinion, to make your choices. At least you can make your picks and watch them for a little while longer.

If you really are interested in breeding excellent birds, you have to start with something excellent. A couple years down the road you will wish you had if your goals really are to reach that level. Start with the best available. Especially chickens, where, unlike cows, horses, sheep, pigs, etc., the best will not cost you an arm and a leg. An excellent cow will cost you 10-100k, a horse the same, a pig 3-15k, a sheep 2-15k. A chicken: maybe $50-100. Start on the top if that is your goal. All the feed and time and overhead will make chicken purchase cost seem like a drop in the bucket.

Look up the Chicken Calculator online. It is a little complicated, but it's kind of fun
smile.png
You can see what colors you would get with what crosses. It is accurate in that it gives you accurate results. It is not accurate in that it doesn't know if you input accurate data
smile.png

X2, I'm in total agreement here. the best money you will ever spend will be on good breeders. whatever the cost is still better in the long and short term than fighting problems for 5-10 years that have alreday been solved by many exhibitors and breeders. When you consider the cost of incubators, hatchers, brooders, feed, fencing, pens, etc. starting with good birds reduces the numbers you have to produce to get a few better ones.

Originally, that wasn't the plan. They were just going to suppliment our diet and that of my dogs so physical quality wasn't that important. I just picked the prettiest that was available at the time. My husband laughs and says that if I'm going to raise animals, they're going to be the best I can possibly produce. He's right. I want pretty for my yard, and if I want to recoup any kind of chicken funds, I'd better produce the best to sell. I've been looking a a few breeders, but I'm so new to chickens it's hard to tell where to start. I'm hoping the SLW that I hatched out in September will turn out nice. I really know nothing about the breeder or her birds, but she was recommended by an internet chicken friend that raises SQ bantams of different breeds. I'm a working mom with two school aged kids so any money I lay down for birds has to be money well spent. I can't afford the 2-$300 a pair that I've seen listed and still afford to feed everyone well. I don't want to have a big operation, more of a hobby with future plans. I do understand what you two are saying. That was my philosophy when I started in collies. I saved and saved and bought the best one I could afford, showed her and found the best dog to breed her to that I could afford. She gave me a great start. I guess I will keep looking and learning. It took me 10 years to find my collie girl...I think I need to get individual evaluations of what I have here and put the ones that have nothing to offer in the laying pen. My SLW are in the ugly dinosaur stage, but it's not as bad as the GLW were

Quote:
get with the Turbo's, (Foleys) they offer day olds of some real good stock, in a couple of varieties. They are reasonably priced and will provide you an excellent start without breaking the bank. they also have started birds sometimes.
You can also go the wyandotte breeders association website, locate the district directors for yur area, and they can recomend someone who will likely be closer to you. there are always ways to get a good start without breaking the bank and know what you are getting is worthwhile. sometimes its just a matter of getting to know a few folks who are involved.

This early summer we swapped some eggs for some quality Black Wyandotte Bantam eggs. Ended with only two pullets. There is no way we can afford a quality cockerel.

At Crossroads I asked Turbo (Jerry Foley) if he had an extra Black cockerel. $$$$$$$$$$ You know with his quality he was going to stick me with a huge bill! Won't say how much he charged, but I grabbed a cockerel before he changed his mind. He was fair and the quality was great. So check with the Foley's and see if they have what you want.

Quote:
I will agree, Jerry will will do what he can to help a person out, and provide teh best quality that can be had a very reasonable price. The two of them have done a great deal to advance both teh breed, and hobby.

I just want to add my 2 cents about the Turbos. They are great. I know there are other great breeders too but I have only worked with the Foley's and they have provided excellent support after the buy as well.

Craig'sHens :

I just want to add my 2 cents about the Turbos. They are great. I know there are other great breeders too but I have only worked with the Foley's and they have provided excellent support after the buy as well.

x2:thumbsup

Craig'sHens :

They rock the roost
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom