The Wyandotte Thread

Funny, those don't look anything like my Columbians when they were babies - they were just pretty plain whitish/yellowish, until their markings came in!
Hmmm.....so do I have a Columbian Dotte or no? I'm so confused.... I was told when I purchased my chix it was a Columbian Wynadotte. Perhaps She/he isn't a prime example?!?! Not that it matters much to me.... I love em not matter what their blood lines are...haaa

Yes, your bird most certainly appears to be a columbian wyandotte. She is certainly the columbian pattern, and she has the correct comb and leg color for a wyandotte. It seems that columbian chicks can either come from light yellow chicks or from chicks with darker down like yours had. On feathersite, the few pictures of columbian wyandotte chicks and light sussex (also columbian pattern) chicks are all light yellow, but the pictures they have posted for columbian plymouth rock chicks all have the darker sooty down color.

Yes, your bird most certainly appears to be a columbian wyandotte. She is certainly the columbian pattern, and she has the correct comb and leg color for a wyandotte. It seems that columbian chicks can either come from light yellow chicks or from chicks with darker down like yours had. On feathersite, the few pictures of columbian wyandotte chicks and light sussex (also columbian pattern) chicks are all light yellow, but the pictures they have posted for columbian plymouth rock chicks all have the darker sooty down color.
Ahhhhh.....Sooo much to learn!!!! I love BYC.....everyday I learn a lil bit more about Chickens!!! ~<3~ Thanx~

Could it be a thiamine deficiency? My friend lost a lot of Wyandotte chicks to this when she first started out with them.

http://www.worldpoultry.net/diseases/vitamin-b1--thiamin-deficiency-d269.html
Read up on thiamine deficiency & I don't think so. She seems more steady today so maybe she just jumped off the roost & landed wrong. I hope thats all it is
fl.gif

Anyone have Chocolate Wyandotte bantams? I had a person call me today wanting to know if I was interested in a pair of these,he said they were show quality.Don't know much about them,how's there temperament,are they accepted in the APA? Don't know how much he wants for them or age or where they came from,I know he said he just got them from someone but they don't fit in with his standard size chickens.How much would a pair of these be worth? Are they worth having.Mike
Jerry Foley sells his choc bantams for 100. a started pair. http://www.foleyswaterfowl.com/englishchocolatebantam.htm you will find the Chocolates at the bottom of the page along with more info on them. Love mine!!

I was wondering the same thing... I was told they mature slower than some breeds. Looking forward to some feedback so i know how fast we've gotta finish the new coop!!! ha

Hey there, I was wondering when my Columbian (that's what I was told she was) would get her comb? I understand they're slow to mature, does the development of a comb have much play in when she'll start to lay? I got her in the beginning of April 2012. Thanx in advance for any feedback.
Wyandottes hit full maturity at about 16-18 mos. most of mine start to lay at about 22-24 wks. It's not so much the development of the comb as in growth wise, but they do get darker red in the comb, wattles, etc before they lay. Hope that helps with the building time schedule :)haha seems as though we have all been there!

Funny thing about my girls (maybe about all chickens.) They don't like me to get too near (unless I have mealworms in my hand) most of the time, but when they're dustbathing, it's like they're paralyzed - I was about two inches away from her head when I took this photo!

Ella and Brunhilde, our Columbian Wyandotte

The three Wyandotte sisters - two GLWs, Shayla and Lilac, and Brunhilde, the Columbian.

They are about 17 weeks old - thinking I'll get eggs somewhere around my birthday (Sept 25!) - they'll be just 20 or so weeks old then.

Here's Tessa, one of our Columbian Wyandottes. She's not pure bred, note the single comb. Also she has always had a different body type, short, wide and round, more like a dove than a chicken. Her tail is quite short. She's about 15 weeks old, perhaps 16 weeks. She has a very quiet personality, somewhat timid, but she's a peacemaker.

What do you think?

Here she was at about 12 weeks.

And this was at about 10 weeks, sitting with with our young 'roo.

This was the day we got her, she was 4 or 5 weeks old. Her body shape was already defined here.

Wyandottes hit full maturity at about 16-18 mos. most of mine start to lay at about 22-24 wks. It's not so much the development of the comb as in growth wise, but they do get darker red in the comb, wattles, etc before they lay. Hope that helps with the building time schedule :)haha seems as though we have all been there!
That's a lot of help....seems they'll have to share the Booda Dome Hahaa, one of my EE'ers started laying this week and the Chicken Shack isn't quite ready for full time residents. So far my CW's wattles are very red...but no comb to be seen so far. I got her in the first week of April. So we will seeeee.....It's So Egg'citing~!~

Back
Top Bottom