The Wyandotte Thread

Here are my GLW chicks at about 11 weeks in Sydney, nicely posed alternately fore and aft on the edge of their coop. Can anyone help me decide if the ones which have developed the red combs already are roosters?
Hello and :welcome. I'd say the 2 at the rear are looking rooish. They are usually darker around the neck. Then there are the waddles, usually much more advanced than the pullets.

Thanks I've been thinking that but hoping not. Their legs don't seem any thicker and they didn't feather up any sooner but they are dark around the neck. There is obviously a lot of variation in this.

Here are my GLW chicks at about 11 weeks in Sydney, nicely posed alternately fore and aft on the edge of their coop. Can anyone help me decide if the ones which have developed the red combs already are roosters?
I would agree that the two on the right are roosters.

We finally have two beautiful pullets growing out here.
love.gif
One has a little gold in her neck, but has beautiful type, and they other is an incredibly dark splash.

Just put my eggs in the incubator today! Second batch ever! I have SLW, SPW, BLRW, Partridge, and some BLRW/Black Australorp mixes. So excited to these little guys. I'll be raising these and selecting for my first breeding flock.

Does anyone know if its possible to breed a black breasted red (bb red) wyandotte. I have a black rooster showing some red feathering in his wings, could I cross him with maybe a partridge, to get something similar to a bb red? If they do exist does anyone have pics.

Does anyone know if its possible to breed a black breasted red (bb red) wyandotte. I have a black rooster showing some red feathering in his wings, could I cross him with maybe a partridge, to get something similar to a bb red? If they do exist does anyone have pics.
Red showing up in your Blacks is more common than you might think. It is part of the genetics that give Blacks that lovely green sheen. BB Red Wyandottes existed many years ago but like many of the rare varieties of Bantam Wyandottes have sadly become extinct. BB Red Wyandotte Bantams would be a gorgeous sight to see as there are many other extinct varieties that could be revived through their creation but there lies the rub. It is very hard to be able to recreate the BB Red Wyandotte. I have read many articles about the rare varieties and there is really no easy way to bring them back. By saying that, I am talking about an extensive breeding program with a knowledgeable breeder for about 10 years. Maybe someone will take on that task someday.

Red showing up in your Blacks is more common than you might think.  It is part of the genetics that give Blacks that lovely green sheen.  BB Red Wyandottes existed many years ago but like many of the rare varieties of Bantam Wyandottes have sadly become extinct.  BB Red Wyandotte Bantams would be a gorgeous sight to see as there are many other extinct varieties that could be revived through their creation but there lies the rub.  It is very hard to be able to recreate the BB Red Wyandotte.  I have read many articles about the rare varieties and there is really no easy way to bring them back.  By saying that, I am talking about an extensive breeding program with a knowledgeable breeder for about 10 years.  Maybe someone will take on that task someday.
Thanks for the info, I don't think I'm ready to invest ten years, but I may throw in a cross or to to see what happens.

How do you think a black wyandotte bantam rooster crossed with an oeg bb red hen would turn out. Is rosecomb dominant over single comb?

Back
Top Bottom