The Wyandotte Thread

His "type" is off for a Wyandotte. My guess is he is from hatchery stock that does not breed to the Standard. Hatcheries use single comb birds to improve fertility more often than most breeders. For a backyard bird, he is fine. But he would be disqualified at a show. Here is what a Golden Laced Wyandotte, bred to the Standard, should look like. Though this is an artist idea, it is a good photo description.

images

I know, I got him from tractor supply so I didn't plan on showing him or anything. He's the sweetest boy I have though so I kept him.. I got 4 GLW "girls" but every single one of them were boys.. I like that he has a single comb anyways... I didn't know that they used single comb for breeding, Guess you learn something new everyday :)

Cluck they occasionally will use a single comb for breeding because it is supposed to increase fertility. I don't think any serious breeders of SQ birds do though.

Anyone breeding or have or know where to get frizzled Wyandottes? Is there a specific breed or do I need to breed my 'dottes with a frizzle of another kind? I'd like to keep as true to the 'dottes as possible, just frizzled...

Anyone breeding or have or know where to get frizzled Wyandottes? Is there a specific breed or do I need to breed my 'dottes with a frizzle of another kind? I'd like to keep as true to the 'dottes as possible, just frizzled...

There was a lady near me that had frizzle SLW pullet. It was more black than laced but it was frizzle.

First wyandottes of the season! So far 4 SLW and 1 PW. The silvers are from my best birds to so REALLY excited to see what happens.

Mom and dad of these SLW

Very nice stock! My first hatched just 10 days ago. But my ONE SLW turned out to be a RIR....I'll never understand how that happened!
hu.gif
Breeder must have marked the wrong one. Oh well, she has BEAUTIFUL RIRs so, no biggie! Still got some PW, SPW, and BLRWs out of the group.

But those are some gorgeous looking SLWs you have there!

Back
Top Bottom