The Wyandotte Thread

Someone was showing me one of their wyandottes and he has a split breast. I know this is a defect but how severe? Is it something they can breed out if paired with good females or is it a strictly cull offense like cross beak?

Google the ' hot potato ' spur removal. I found it very interesting. If you decide to cut, keep cornflour on hand to help the blood clot. Cayenne pepper will also stop a bleed.

I would never just cut the spur. Before I knew anything about it, I visited someone who was building a coop for me and his rooster was running around looking pretty angry. He said he just cut his spurs. I asked how do you do that? He said just like dog nails.

Unfortunately, I believed him and tried to shorten my roosters spurs. Made a quick cut .... long story short, it bled and bled and bled. My pants were saturated with his blood. I kept him with me, using cornstarch to attempt to get it stopped. Took a considerable amount of time for it to finally stop. Lucky I didn't lose my rooster.

Watch that video posted. That is the proper and safe way to do it. I've seen two videos like that now. It's fast, and almost bloodless and doesn't seem to cause any real distress to the bird.

I would never just cut the spur. Before I knew anything about it, I visited someone who was building a coop for me and his rooster was running around looking pretty angry. He said he just cut his spurs. I asked how do you do that? He said just like dog nails.

Unfortunately, I believed him and tried to shorten my roosters spurs. Made a quick cut .... long story short, it bled and bled and bled. My pants were saturated with his blood. I kept him with me, using cornstarch to attempt to get it stopped. Took a considerable amount of time for it to finally stop. Lucky I didn't lose my rooster.

Watch that video posted. That is the proper and safe way to do it. I've seen two videos like that now. It's fast, and almost bloodless and doesn't seem to cause any real distress to the bird.

If only everyone would give it a try. I met a guy that told me he grinds them back with his power tools. :idunno

If only everyone would give it a try. I met a guy that told me he grinds them back with his power tools. :idunno

Why do that when I saw the Youtube videos of another way that is clean, bloodless and fast? If it works for you, great, but I like the Youtube method of just taking pliers, rocking them back and forth a bit at the top of the spur and they snap right off with hardly any blood or drama.

Back
Top Bottom