The Wyandotte Thread

Hi there, there's a few videos on YouTube if you just search "rooster collar"
Here's a link to a good one:

Basically it's a Velcro collar that goes on the roosters neck to reduce the volume of the crowing.
My rooster loves crowing from about 4am and I was worried that the neighbours might complain.
I picked it up from a breeder for about $15 Australian (I'm in Australia)
It's such a fantastic tool though, it has minimised the sound of his crowing so much, no one has complained about him at all (I'm in suburbia).

Thanks everyone for your replies,
I'm still waiting for my incubator to arrive in the post (it should be here any day now) I figured that I would just put a few eggs in it (it only takes 7 eggs anyway) and candle them after a week. This should give me a definite answer for if the eggs are fertile or not.
I've already trimmed the chickens bums (LOL!) so this is really the final call to decide if I should get a new rooster or not.
I'll keep you posted and let you know what my findings are.
Thanks again everyone :)

Welcome WyandotteTX! I see you called the dun splash lilac, I have always known them as khaki. It is nice to see someone that has had experience with the colors. When I wasnt decided on a set color I had many colors of wyandotte bantam. For awhile I had 2 white laced red males, a good colored cock that showed influence of cornish, and his son that was out of him and a gold laced female. The cock was killed by a guinea and the cockerel went to the traders place. When our dun male mated with a BLR hen we got all dun and khaki chicks, the cockerels showed some lacing on the breast and I almost got side tracked with dun laced red project but didnt. I also thought about dun partridge for awhile after I saw the chocolate partridge but it wouldnt be that exciting until the khaki sports showed up.
Oh how I miss my wyandottes. If all goes as planned, in less than 5 years I will be able to play with wyandotte colors again.
did things go as planned?

i've never checked any of my eggs but i have seen the little white thing your talking about in a few when cooking them ..i thought that was what i was seeing in jacksmummys yokes..so both those eggs are fertil then ..

its the little bits of great info like this you find reading these forums ..i used to skip around and jump past pages of post, but i always feel like i missed something and have to go back and read it all ..lol

thanks.i guess there is a big diffrents ..i now no my roo's able and so are a few of my hens..lol i have seen the bullseye in my eggs and a few with just the white dot ..i have one roo for 21 girls so i guess hes not getting after all of them everey day ..man what a life that would be ..lol.. thanks again for the lesson in fertility in eggs ..its this kind of info that makes this site so great ..

i have never hatched any eggs but plan to next spring ..i plan on letting one of my brooders hatch them ..unless santa's good to me this yr and brings me the bator i wanted from the tractor store ..lol

Well my only white wyandotte hen died yesterday. I do still have my Roo so I am going to move some choc pullets in with him and see what I get. Fingers crossed for some good stuff under that white. We will also find out if he is dom white or recessive. My guess is recessive (that is a bit harder to remove). Anybody want to toss out some options of what I will get..... Cuckoo is at the top of my list...... blue maybe HEHE..... could be fun to see what is under there.

Well my only white wyandotte hen died yesterday. I do still have my Roo so I am going to move some choc pullets in with him and see what I get. Fingers crossed for some good stuff under that white. We will also find out if he is dom white or recessive. My guess is recessive (that is a bit harder to remove). Anybody want to toss out some options of what I will get..... Cuckoo is at the top of my list...... blue maybe HEHE..... could be fun to see what is under there.
sorry to hear about your toss sounds like you will have a interesting genetic adventure

Back
Top Bottom