The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
lol.png
I don't know why, but that always makes me grin
big_smile.png
Thanks for a smile, I really needed it today.

Your very welcome! I love my chickens, even if they turn the other cheek.

Quote:
Some chick down color can be culled at hatch once you have learned the line and variety well. We learned after the first year which columbians colored out better based on chick down coloration but that varied based on teh lines, Blues are tougher, and Blue laced varities were tougher to cull as chicks.
Based on comb defects as early as possible, color based on variety, type and feather quality 5-7 months, Some type issues and feather quality can be caught earlier but you really have to wait a while for some to finish out more, I like to wait on the best cockrells till around 10-12 months but seldom breed out of them other than fertility testing until after the first full adult molt.

I cull as soon as I can based on several factors. I'm always looking for duck feet, webbed toes (on cochins), wry tail, slipped/split wing, etc. Those get culled basically as soon as they are found. I also like to weigh and cull based on the best growth if I have enough chicks for the year and can afford to do that.

Back
Top Bottom