Their first snow

Reinbeau

The Teapot Underground
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
Hanson, MA & Lebanon, Maine
Well, we had our first three to four inches or so today and the chooks weren't very impressed. First they all started to pile out into the run but were stopped dead in their tracks - what the *** is that??!?
ep.gif
It was very funny. They came out a bit throughout the day but for the most part ran back inside disappointed because that white stuff was still there!

I finally opened the big door and let them out. They ran up along any shoveled path, a few got brave and ventured out into the unbroken snow, but basically they followed me around waiting for me to shovel a spot for them to scratch around. Then they ventured up to the bird feeder, but of course the ground was covered - so they found the garden beds. At least they could roost on the edges and the evil white stuff wouldn't get them!

snow.jpg

Four of them are just to the right beneath a table - bare ground!

Mine saw snow for the first time today too!
They usually barrel out of the coop as soon as the door opens up, But I was actually worried when a couple in the front stopped in their tracks that they might get trampled.
The lighter ones (that can fly) tried to fly over it all to underneath the tree.
They pecked at it for a while and then decided it wasnt too bad.

But I didnt have as much snow on the ground as you do there.

Same thing with ours, they fly to the back porch and stay there til I kick them off,
timetogo.jpg

then go under the picnic table, or under the spruce tree. Or, they fly to me and make me pick them up.
IknowtheressnowbutIcantcarryyouever.jpg

They really like it when I bring out bread for them to share with Lil Spanky
youallhavetoshare.jpg

Mine will only go where they can see the ground or something dark, where they can make out that it is "safe".

I think that chickens don't have much depth perception the way we do, so when they can't see something solid or well defined, they stop where they are and try to get oriented.

Last winter (their first), they went out to free-range and the wind slammed the shed door closed and they freaked. I had to round up about 11 chickens that flew off into the snow and stood like statues until I rescued them. Little Roo, my alpha, flew onto a wood pile and refused to move. He usually doesn't let me get too close, but that time he waited until I came and got him. I picked him up last and out of sight of the girls so he wouldn't lose his dignity. He was, I think, appreciative of that fact and when I put him down on the ground where he could see, he started strutting and making his rooster sounds like normal.

I have 12-week-olds now that want to come out, but as soon as they get a blast of cold air and then see the white stuff, they change their minds.

That is just too cute, curliet. And I love your signature.

Ours saw snow for the first time today, as well. It was just a dusting - but they barreled right out of the coop and didn't even seem to notice. It was windy in the low 30's today. Amazing. I would definitely be hanging out in the coop if I were them!

Penny

Quote:
Oh yea, I forgot that part. I walked down to the coop to clean up a bit, and most of the ninnies followed me. Abby, one of my BO hens, had stayed behind, I dunno, maybe her back was turned when they all followed me. Suddenly I heard her frantic bagawking from back up the yard, there she was, standing on the bed edge screaming about being left behind. Stumpy was down by me answering her, you know, that back and forth Bagawk! Bagawk! I walked back up there talking to her all the time. She just sat on that edge and looked so forlorn!
gig.gif
I squatted down next to her and offered her my arm, she could land on me and I'd carry her back, but she didn't climb on. So I picked her up, and surprisingly she didn't mind at all. I carried her down and told her how beautiful she was and she just sat in my arms. I squatted down near the others and she sat there enjoying my warm coat, I guess, and then when she was good and ready she jumped down. It was nice, they don't usually like me to hold them, but she did!
love.gif

Ours saw their first snow today too! The first chicken out didn't realize and kept flying to try to avoid the ground. The rest were blocking the pop door and she couldn't fly back in. It was very funny. Most stayed in all day or all stood in the one spot without snow. I tried throwing scratch in the snow thinking they would go for it but they didn't even want the scratch.

Curliet, I love your signature too.

Last edited:
We only got an inch or so, here in s'eastern CT. Just enough for the first introduction. Our 3 from last year took it in stride. Though they are molting now and I feel like I should knit them a little chicken sweater.

The youngsters have their coop in an extra stall in the barn. So every morning I feed horses hay outside, then let the chooks out. I give them scratch each morning to get them out of the barn. They came eagerly as usual, and stepped into the already trampled snow in the doorway. But as they hit the fluffier stuff, chickens went flying in every direction. Some landed on fencing, looking down as if certain death awaited below. And some were unaffected, still pecking up grains on the ground.
Barney, my big Splash Andalusian roo flew up and landed clumsily in the snow near a fence post. He stood over there, on one leg, for about 15 minutes while I finished graining and watering the horses. I finally lured him into walking and he came back in the barn. I don't think he left, again, for the rest of the day. Big baby! LOL
I wished I had remembered the camera. It IS funny to watch their reactions.
lol.png

It is bitter cold tonight and the wind is just HOWLING.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom