Their first time free-ranging!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Lilacfeather, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Lilacfeather

Lilacfeather Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    I've had my girls for almost 2 weeks, and I thought it was time to try and see how they'd do outside their enclosure.

There was weed picking, and bug hunting, and a good time was had by all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my most awesome dog, Kady, chillin' with the chickens. I'm hoping she will help deter predators while they're out.

[​IMG]

They seemed so happy to explore. And our backyard is already a barren wasteland, so I'm not concerned about any 'destruction'. It will probably end up looking better.

2. coq au vin

coq au vin Chillin' With My Peeps

Cute.

Now they're going to squawk and fuss every morning until you let them out. [​IMG]

3. italianchicksrule

italianchicksrule Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    They look soo happy !!!!!!

4. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    They'll sleep well tonight- and dream of their good time out, and hopefully more to come.

5. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    My best time is sitting outback and watching my girls free range. The interaction between them is the best. Watch that puppy, if she like them she will be the best dog ever. My cats like to run though my birds just to watch fly, now the broodies with babies are a different thing. Then the hens chase the cats, best country entertainment ever. [​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Thanks for sharing the photos - I just LOVE seeing chickens range freely! I could look at photos of 'em doing so all day long....

I've found a couple places just slightly off my route to work where there are free ranging chickens and I often take my lunch break on that street so I can watch 'em.

I'm happiest when I am in my own yard, watching my flock chase bugs, wander hither and yon, eat grass, dust bathe, and follow my land-lady's 3 Barbados sheep around in her yard, my front yard, and the open pasture next to my house.

Y

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    They look so very happy ;D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by