Their wings while sleeping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hazard, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Hazard

Hazard In the Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    MASS
    I notice that my almost 3 week olds often sleep with their wings positioned off their bodies. Not extended out, but raised off of themselves. If they are doing this to expel heat because they are warm, why wouldn't they move away from the lamp more? There is plenty of area to get away from the heat lamp.

Or, do they just normally do this?

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Songster

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Mine are the same age and do the same thing! - I'm not sure why, but they prefer to be right up under the lamp with wings spread, rather than move away and be more comfortable [​IMG]Mine have a large brooder too, as long as they can get comfortable, that's what matters most.

I recently moved the lamp up a little to harden them some. I came in later and checked on them and they were in a pile! I thought they might be too cool, so I repositioned it just a little....

3. they may do it to let heat circulate more under their wings.

4. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Songster

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Ok, that passes the common sense test - never thought about it that way, thanks for the insight....

5. ;) It's just a guess, but it fits!

6. That sounds similar to the position they take when they are dust bathing. Do they lay kind of on their sides with wings extended? Mine will dust bathe themselves and get in a comfy position on their sides and rest in the sun, so it may be instinctual dust bath behavior.

7. ^^ That too may be a reason. Put a pan of fine, dry dist in there and see what they do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: