Them Stinkin' Foxes.

chicken+quail=luv

Songster
12 Years
Nov 18, 2008
Strawberry fields.
barnie.gif

So it was our first snow a week or two ago, and we were out seeing a play. Now, our chickens are free range and must've been confused by the snow- usually they go back to their hutch at around 6. So, when we got back, we searched and couldn't find them. We decided to call it a night and wait until tomorrow to continue our search.

Big mistake.
he.gif

Next morning, our neighbors- and friends- complained about smelling a skunk. I'm not sure about your fox, if you have one, but our fox smells like a skunk. We knew it was the end.
hit.gif

A couple days later, we found remains.
hit.gif
Well, just feathers. My poor little chooks!
sad.png

hugs.gif

Free range always begets casualties. It is a matter of when, not if. So sad but you have at last learned to lock them down before leaving for any reason.
sad.png

When mine were chicks I always whistled a certain tune called 'rocky top'. To this day all I have to do is whistle that tune and boy they come a running/flapping pronto! So with that and treats, I am sure I could get most of mine back in if I did any free-ranging. I do not tho because my place is 15 acres and 2/3 of that is woods besides adjacent properties that are woods too. I just can not watch out for 24 chooks .
idunno.gif

My husband woke me up at 3:20 this morning b/c he heard the birds hollering.
I look out and see - to my surprise that my one remaining baby, and another bird are outside the coop, squawking.
I went outside, but by the time I got to eh coop, both birds were gone. I heard a bird scream behind my shed, and then the fox walking.
I did what damage control I could, finding only one bird.
Between this morning, and this afternoon, four other returned, leacing 5 out of my nine.

My first bird, Harriet - who gave me SO much trouble, and my 'last' bird, Keisha- named after my friend who passed away last june are gone with two others.

My son had let the birds out, and the wind blew the coop door closed. They were stuck outside. I peeked at the coop, seeing the door was closed- as I had left it, I thought everything was fine. Guess not.

now it's time to get that fox. He got one of my other babies, and my 'diva' this summer.

how do I get him??

Put an ad on craigslist, I'm sure there is someone near you that would trap or kill a fox free of charge. Just remember if there is one there are more. Get them all.

After I answered you on how to get a fox , I realized there are people on here that are against eliminating any kind of animal.
I love animals, I treat my dogs better than most people treat their kids. I take very good care of my chickens too, but as much as I love my dogs they will meet their demise if they hurt or kill one of my chickens. With that being said I could lock my lab or boxer uo in the coop overnight with my chickens and no problem. A predator animal needs to be taken care of.

hugs.gif

It is next to impossible to live trap a fox. A leg trap might have a chance. Use gloves, preferrably the same ones you use when cleaning the coop. Put some chicken poop all around the trap to drown out the human scent. Real way to go is to fox proof your whole operation. Sound fence, dig proof and climber-proof via fence charger. Coop lockdown at dusk too.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom