Theoretical, Science Fiction Question

Something to think about you could do this in the way of Star Trek Voyager. Where they had enough food stored at first but then had to add too for a long journey. How about this starting with a small diverse flock say 15 total. You will have ship stores food so will not need much from what is brought on for colony. Then if colony is many light years away you will breed said animals replacing some used stores and biulding flock slowly till you reach destination of the colony which by that time you could have a flock of 50 to 100.

The danger with planning on the absolute minimum is that if something unexpected happens you end up with NOTHING.

And since I'm talking about a colony that will only very rarely have contact with earth what the colonists take with them is all the chicken genes they'll ever have. Ensuring good genetic health would be critical.

I think you should approach the current Federal Administration regarding this question. No doubt, IF the study has not already been done (and classified), you will receive a "GRANT" to study the problem further.
th.gif

just my 2 pesos worth,
-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Consulting with the meat bird people on birds per freezer leads me to believe that if I were to use cold-sleep units of about 14-16cuft -- about the size of a good-sized, upright freezer and large enough for a human being -- I could get about 30 live, adult chickens into each unit.

At first I thought that 5 rooster and 25 hens of the same breed in one unit would make a good farm-starter flock. With the higher than normal rooster to hen ratio for better genetic diversity.

Then I thought about power failures and decided that I'd pack 1 rooster and 5 hens each of 6 different breeds in a single cold-sleep unit so as to maximize genetic diversity in case of power failures affecting either single units or banks of units.

Then I can pack live chicks in cold sleep -- probably several hundred per unit. (How big is a shipping box for 100 chicks?)

And frozen sperm too.

They do 'freeze' fertilized and unfertilized eggs and sperm from poultry now. I can't remember if they crack the shells to allow for expansion. I know some research is being conducted in incubation eggs with the shells removed.

To transport frozen fertilized eggs would be cost effective in the sense of weight, space needed and energy consumption. This will give you the possibility of hundreds or even thousands to start with.

Would have to safe guard any human care takers during this voyage doesn't fulfill a scramble egg craving.

Quote:
!!!!

I'm amazed. I'll have to see if I can find any info on freezing fertilized eggs. I had assumed it would be impossible due to the shell. I wouldn't want a shell-free technique. It wouldn't suit the story because they will not have high-tech bioengineering labs/equipment available.

Carrying fertilized eggs would be very space efficient.

I know that if I were doing this I'd want as many layers of redundancy as feasible and I'm crediting my colonists with good sense.
smile.png

Have you thought about how you are going to feed and water these birds?
Imagine what would happen if someone spills a bag of corn with no gravity! The seeds would get everywhere including into vital equipment.
How will the birds cope in no gravity? They could not perch.
You might have to turn it into a disaster story.
What if they all start feather pecking or kill each other?
What happens when a hen lays an egg in no gravity?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom