Therapy chickens

A service animal is just that. Commonly dogs but... the ADA is not clear. So why couldn't a chicken give comfort to someone who is ill ? Sure a chicken can't do what my service dog does, get things for me help me maintain balance. etc. But they still can provide comfort. So why couldn't chicken fall into the therapy area ?
smile.png

My son is disabled and i had issues with my land lord a while back in MA about what is allowed as far as a therepy animal I called the ADA and the woman i spoke to said it didnt matter if it is a therepy grasshopper as long as the person who is disabled is getting there needs forfilled it is covered under ADA rules I would just see if you need to get the chickens registered with the ADA so you are covered if any issues arise.

I had read an article a while ago where a woman with a cat as her service animal was removed from a grocery store due to customer complaints. Even though her cat was wearing the appropriate gear 'marking' it as a MEDICAL therapy animal, she & her cat were removed from the grocery store.
Turns out the woman was ALLERGIC to dogs (as I am) and was partnered with a Feline companion who was trained to deal with her specific medical conditions. The store apologized PROFUSELY and it turned into an educational opportunity for ALL persons considered.

Dogs are simply the most common of therapy animals (generally the most easily trained). But that does NOT make them the ONLY animals used in therapy or as companions. A couple of my chickens make better companions than my kitties!!! Go figure! Now I just need to get them some diapers...and I'd really like to possibly find out about doing visitations to senior's centers with them!!!
Oh...and I had also seen a special on a woman with POORLY controlled type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes whose PET CAT would signal a 'crash' coming on. The cat was MORE accurate than her tester! Because of her cat's abilities...she has been able to control her diabetes and regained the ability to drive and work!

Quote:
Because federal law states that a service animal is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a disabled individual. Training chickens to do work or perform valid tasks is almost not possible so they can't be service animals but any animal can be a dr reccomended pet and has some sort of protection.

I guess chickens would be wonderful theropy critters! For example, and I love to tell this and your probably rolling your eyes, but I had a "teen" cochin that had been raised in the house, took me as Momma. Well that day had come when I was getting ready to move her out of the house, but before, we went on tour with darling Penny. Visiting the 1st lady(92), she sold chicks in the feed store her life and loved each and everyone of them. She picked penny up and held her gently and finally letting her in the crate. She still wants to see all the chickens, chicks and everything. Just could sit and watch them for hours (me too).
The 2nd elderly lady(90) home that we took her to that day, Penny was accepted in as the queen of the tea! She sat Penny up with a few crumbs, didn't care if she pooped! It was celebrated that she hopped from the table, into her crate and did her business! Phew, but it made that ladies day. She passed away a few months later, still so very happy to have held that chick.

So after all that, I feel that Chickens should be valued as theropy animals. Personally I don't care for other peoples dogs, don't have my own. I'm a cat person, but I would fear that it would pick up diseases in the public like that. Who knows.
Keep working for the good of chicken lovers around the world, if you want to use what I just wrote to go for the use, let me know, I'll give you names, dates and all that. That chick made the day of 2 ladies that 1 isn't here today, and the other swoons over those 3 toed bunglers! LOL

I guess that's a big part of value, they bring them back to farms they grew up on. I never thought I would say it but I wish I grew up on a farm.

Though I am REALLY late in seeing this thread, I am curious if someone worked with a chicken day in and day out, if they could be trained as a therapy animal. Years ago we had a Buff Orpington as a pet. She was litterbox trained, was taught to fetch, jump on command, roll over, etc. She knew her name (we know this because people would always test it, by calling other names). She was so good that when I would open the passenger door to the convertable, she would jump on the front seat and immediately lay down. We used to bring her to my sons pre-school class, as trained, she would immediately lay down before someone could pet her. If anyone ever hears of a chicken being raised as a therapy animal, I would love to know.

Though I am REALLY late in seeing this thread, I am curious if someone worked with a chicken day in and day out, if they could be trained as a therapy animal. Years ago we had a Buff Orpington as a pet. She was litterbox trained, was taught to fetch, jump on command, roll over, etc. She knew her name (we know this because people would always test it, by calling other names). She was so good that when I would open the passenger door to the convertable, she would jump on the front seat and immediately lay down. We used to bring her to my sons pre-school class, as trained, she would immediately lay down before someone could pet her. If anyone ever hears of a chicken being raised as a therapy animal, I would love to know.
Ummm ... I think YOU have already trained your Buff to be a therapy chicken! Remember the joy and love and affection you gave? How did hat make you feel? And did the Buff respond by being a constant companion ? Did your buff sit on your lap and eat from your hand? I bet you talked to your Buff and loved on your Buff too.

All of these actions are what disabled people with emotional needs require to help them enjoy life

Technically called an Emotional Support Animal (ESA), they are not required to be trained. It is the interaction between the animal and the disabled person that provides the emotional support.

My wife had 6 hens and they changed her life. She became functional deaf over a 5 year period. She withdrew from life, confined herself to home because she was embarrassed and couldn't communicate. People discriminated against he.

Her hens, an I, loved her unconditionally. Tho I couldn't be with her 24/7, her hens just about could. And they were he constant companions while I was at work or away from the house.

One day I was out sitting with her and her hens when I realized that I was receiving benefits from them too! I have a very stressful career in the medical industry and would come home stressed out. Just a few minutes with these wonderful hens helped calm me down. And I found that I really enjoyed just watching them run and play just as they were our children. Sounds crazy to some I am sure, but they really work!

Back
Top Bottom