Therapy for Silkie youngster with 'brain trauma'?

Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
One of my Silkie youngsters, probably 4 months old, got out of his pen and was pecked repeatedly on the head (vaulted skull) today.
No broken skin or missing feathers, but I saw him take some hard pecks right in his 'soft spot' before I could get across the fence and rescue him.
He is upright, but unresponsive. Eyes open, but blank and unfocused.
I brought him in the house and got him to eat a little and drink, but he won't move without being 'prompted'.
Is there any hope he'll pull out of this or has he been 'brain damaged'?
Thanks,
Lisa

Time will tell...usually if they are brained they go all nutty, and run around like crazy. I would give it a few days to see what happens, never know, it might end up being fine...

Give it a few days for the brain swelling to go down. He may recover, too soon to tell I would say. Not much else you can do other than intravenous medications.

I had this happen to one of my silkies. I was watering and didn't know she had gotten out and was behind me. I dropped the hose, and the end metal piece fell on her. She convulsed and I thought I had lost her. I brought her in, put her in a basket and kept it quiet and calm where she was. I just let her rest. I did have to put food and water in her beak and make her eat. After two days she was almost back to normal. In a week she was just the same and I couldn't tell that she had been hurt. I am very very careful about my girls heads now and make sure that I don't drop the hose or anything else when they are around me..... I hope your little silkie pulls out of it

Ah, so sad. He passed this afternoon
sad.png

I do love crested birds, but those with vaulted skulls are so vulnerable.
Doubly sad, because he was the roo I was planning to use for the next generation of green-egg laying Silkies (he hatched from a green egg).

RIP
300346340.jpg

sad.png

Lisa

I'm so sorry. He was a cutie.
FYI- dlhunicorn has a lot of information on head injuries on her site. There is something that you can do if you catch it soon enough. There are a series of vitamins, etc. that you give that help bring the swelling of the brain down.
PM her and ask for the link to that info, just so you have it on hand.
I'm sorry for your loss. :aww

So Sorry Dipsy, What a sad post to read.

I wish we could avoid all the accidents.
:-(

hugs.gif

He looked like a sweetie

We lost one of our old buff hens to
Old age I think,
I had a feeling I should go check on her and when out and held her and she passed away a few min later

Back
Top Bottom