There are lines on my eggs!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TinyChickenLady, Sep 7, 2011.

1. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I had 3 chicks hatch early yesterday and now there are superficial cracks or lines on some of my other eggs. Did the babies bump them too hard? Are they going to hatch? What's wrong with them?

2. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I had this on my egg that didn't hatch, my baby was breech and had died in the shell. I hope someone can give you an answer to this, as I'd be interested to know what it means too. Good luck with yours. [​IMG]

3. TinyChickenLady

Thanks I hope so too [​IMG] They weren't there before the babies hatched so I'm not sure what's going on in there. They made a big mess and I'm just hoping they didn't kill any.

4. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I don't think the other chicks generally damage the other eggs. It kind of encourages them to hatch, being tapped and peeped at, maybe it just happens after a certain amount of incubation, I think the shells tend to get more brittle later on anyway as the chicks inside have absorbed calcium out of them. Give them another day or two, they may just be late hatchers. [​IMG]

5. TinyChickenLady

Thanks I think I will do that. This is just day 21 now but I got worried, of course. I did notice the other guys pecked at the eggs a little bit so I took them out this morning so they wouldn't do any damage. I'll keep an eye on them for a few more days [​IMG]

6. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    I'd expect them to be hatcing soon. Sometimes the egg cracks before you see a pip. Sounds like a fun day at your house!!!!

7. TinyChickenLady

Quote:[​IMG] I hope you're right! They would be right on schedule if they do start hatching [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by