There are shows, and then there are shows...

Quote:
The value in it, from my experience with horse shows, is less an issue of subjectivity and more an issue of clear communication. It allows anyone viewing the scorecard to see which elements of the bird were judged superior and which were judged to be lacking. It allows no excuses in a a competitor with a first place ribbon to know where his entry was lacking, and makes it clear that even if that was the best in the class, that it had significant faults. It allows a competitor who was the only one to bring a particular breed or variety to get very clear feedback from the judge about whether the bird is a good or poor specimen. And, it can minimize problems of a judge inadvertently communicating that a particularly obvious unusual trait of a winning bird was desirable, for example being slightly off in color. It says, "Yes, I noticed that the bird was too light or too dark, and I took off points for it, but the bird won anyway because of its other good qualities" and it prevents people from going home and deciding that the "wrong" color is what they should bring to that judge next time.

Poltroon (great name by the way) Don't forget that while everybody at the dressage show gets to see your final score, they do not get to see your test sheet (although at some of the huge shows you can rent those little microphones so you can hear the judge as he dictates to the scribe). So if the score sheet method was used in a poultry show the same way it is in some horse shows, the other competitors, and the general public would see the total score but not exactly how that score was determined. It would however be clearer communication between the judge and the exhibitor.

Of course, one could choose to post the full score card or not. For example, frequently at the 4H shows, the scorecard for showmanship has been available for everyone to see, so your child can see that she did great with the questions, but lost points on eye contact, etc. While dressage scorecards are generally not public, the scores for each movement are public at the really big competitions, and the trend is towards electronic scoreboards showing scores as they come in for venues that have the technology.

There are arguments both ways for making a full card public or private, but either way would have valuable benefits for improving judge-exhibitor communication.

Last edited:
I can't imagine judges having the time at large shows to fill out a score card for every bird. As it is, judging can take all day, and numerous times I've seen judges work straight through lunch to get all the birds done. (Watching them makes my feet hurt!) Just not going to have time, I wouldn't think. It's a nice idea for very small shows, but not practical for most.

I have seen some pretty crappy hatchery and picked on birds get a first place ribbon because it was the only one in that breed or variety. There are standards and there are standards. Sure, my Ameraucanas used to get best in class a LOT, but, here in this state, you were lucky to have any birds in AOSB to compete against at all! Those wins mean little to me when I have no competition. You just need to be cautious in who your dealing with unless you can attend the show yourself to see.

Last edited:
The ASOB class is pretty big in the NE, mostly game type breeds. At the Boston show last fall someone showed an awesome Naked Neck hen that really was gorgeous. Sometimes you see some neat representatives of uncommon breeds but I have noticed they get overlooked when it comes time to look further than best of breed. The common stuff does move forward.

Last edited:
Thats why i love to show breeds that are not common at shows, becouse it gets them out there more, and hope that others whant to breed them as well.

A kiss is just a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh, a show is just a show--even if it's big. I don't put much weight on what shows a breeder has won.

Quote:
I went to Pathfinder's site. Awesome!!! Those articles need to be a sticky somewhere. Answered so many of my questions. Thanks Pathfinder!!!

I took my Naked Necks to the National Western Stock Show this year just for the shocked reactions on peoples faces when they first see them. It was so much fun! Tee Hee!
ya.gif
As a bonus, one of them won Best AOSB! Here she is, the lovely Elvira!

47099_elvira.jpg

This thread is very interesting and should open many eyes to the show lingo.

I have been to many state youth fairs and big stock shows where chickens have been shown. I can say there is a differance in how they are judged. I also have been to a poultry only show here in our local area. That was even more different. The local show I would say had serious show breeders where the other mostly were FFA or 4 H kids just learning. Now the local show was small much smaller than the others I have been to since it was not in a big city but a small towm. But people came from over state lines to it. I gave me a good idea of what a real poultry show is like and what show breeders work for in their lines.

In this are where we now live and where that show was held. It was about 30 mins from us. Poultry is not king but cattle is for livestock. Most people here ranch cows for sale and there are breeders of pure strains too. FFA and 4H are big here in schools. Poultry is kept by some and it is growing once again but you can drive by miles of farms and see only one with chickens. Now where I lived before shows were much more common for livestock at the big fairs but you did not see that many small poultry only shows. This was in 2 differnt states one up North and one further south. Then again I will admit I never looked for them since I was not into showing.

But correct me if I am wrong, they judging for both is different in that, the small show had more than one judge. The big shows did a more general judging since it was not APA but more FFA and 4H. So instead of having judges that knew the breed real good they had one or two do the whole show. The small show judges were breed trained and switched off when it came to the breeds they had to do. Where they other judge just worked the whole show even if it was not their breed. This is where the big differance comes in with judging. be it local , fair or sacntioned. Trained judge to breed apposed to not trained to breed.

Back
Top Bottom