There are shows, and then there are shows...

Brody's Broodello :

Hannah, How are your birds doing?

I'll PM you.
smile.png

Poltroon and Eggchel, Thanks for the info!! I will be making at least Sunday's show in Stockton next weekend. I would love to go Saturday, but I would only have until about Noon since we have a band gig that night hours North of Stockton. Before this, I have only been to the county and state fair's and didn't yet have Chicken Fever
big_smile.png

Quote:
Hehehehe Just wait til you get to the Stockton show and see 2 huge buildings full of birds.

Going on Saturday, even if only until noon, would be much better than going on Sunday because people start packing up their birds really early, often before 10 am. Only the champion judging is done on Sunday so lots of people take their birds out early. Here is a link to a schedule for the show.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3470187#p3470187

I was tooling around on Pathfinders/Laura's website, and I was pleased to find writeups on showing and show prep that I wish I had found during that very intimidating first year of 4H: http://www.pathfindersfarm.com/Articles.html

Are
there any virtual options for viewing some of the larger poultry shows? Like results with color photos, or YouTube, etc? I get Poultry Press, but, sadly, newspaper is not really the right medium for high fidelity photography.

Quote:
Thanks!

Quote:
Interesting you should ask that, as it's a project in the works now by some friends of mine. Check back with me in a couple of months, I hope to have some more definitive links. But it is being worked on!

Last edited:
It doesn't bother me, here in the USA people should be allowed to treat thier own animals how they want. (Within reason)

Who gets to definitively decide what "within reason" means?​

Interesting point... given that the standard is so specific, it could be possible to create point totals for a bird.

It would be & in fact in days gone by score card judging was the norm. However, that does not entirely remove the subjective element it just attaches a score to how that subjectivity was applied.
For example: Condition is worth up to 10 points in ths Scale Of Points so a bird with some conditioning issues not specificly address in the Scale eg broken feathers would be sujectivel given a score less than 10.​

Quote:
It would be & in fact in days gone by score card judging was the norm. However, that does not entirely remove the subjective element it just attaches a score to how that subjectivity was applied.
For example: Condition is worth up to 10 points in ths Scale Of Points so a bird with some conditioning issues not specificly address in the Scale eg broken feathers would be sujectivel given a score less than 10.

The value in it, from my experience with horse shows, is less an issue of subjectivity and more an issue of clear communication. It allows anyone viewing the scorecard to see which elements of the bird were judged superior and which were judged to be lacking. It allows no excuses in a a competitor with a first place ribbon to know where his entry was lacking, and makes it clear that even if that was the best in the class, that it had significant faults. It allows a competitor who was the only one to bring a particular breed or variety to get very clear feedback from the judge about whether the bird is a good or poor specimen. And, it can minimize problems of a judge inadvertently communicating that a particularly obvious unusual trait of a winning bird was desirable, for example being slightly off in color. It says, "Yes, I noticed that the bird was too light or too dark, and I took off points for it, but the bird won anyway because of its other good qualities" and it prevents people from going home and deciding that the "wrong" color is what they should bring to that judge next time.

Quote:
For example: Condition is worth up to 10 points in ths Scale Of Points so a bird with some conditioning issues not specificly address in the Scale eg broken feathers would be sujectivel given a score less than 10.

The value in it, from my experience with horse shows, is less an issue of subjectivity and more an issue of clear communication. It allows anyone viewing the scorecard to see which elements of the bird were judged superior and which were judged to be lacking. It allows no excuses in a a competitor with a first place ribbon to know where his entry was lacking, and makes it clear that even if that was the best in the class, that it had significant faults. It allows a competitor who was the only one to bring a particular breed or variety to get very clear feedback from the judge about whether the bird is a good or poor specimen. And, it can minimize problems of a judge inadvertently communicating that a particularly obvious unusual trait of a winning bird was desirable, for example being slightly off in color. It says, "Yes, I noticed that the bird was too light or too dark, and I took off points for it, but the bird won anyway because of its other good qualities" and it prevents people from going home and deciding that the "wrong" color is what they should bring to that judge next time.

Poltroon (great name by the way) Don't forget that while everybody at the dressage show gets to see your final score, they do not get to see your test sheet (although at some of the huge shows you can rent those little microphones so you can hear the judge as he dictates to the scribe). So if the score sheet method was used in a poultry show the same way it is in some horse shows, the other competitors, and the general public would see the total score but not exactly how that score was determined. It would however be clearer communication between the judge and the exhibitor.

Back
Top Bottom