There are shows, and then there are shows...

Quote:
This should be the standard for winning. 4H fairs are to be for the kids.........too many adults are involved and not enough kids. Anyone who buys based on "SQ", should be prepared for disappointment. I love partridge wyandotte bantams but I've yet to see any who meet the standard. I have some nice ones but they have faults if you compare them to white wyandotte bantams--legs too long, legs not thick enough, tail to much like cochin tail....other than that, they're great.
lol.png

Most of us want a few eggs & let them out to run making us feel good. If you like the way they look, you pay the bills, so who cares what some other person thinks? If you want production, buy birds that have been bred for that purpose. I'm always amused when I hear someone bragging up their birds because no one else will. When you win the Nationals, brag away. Want to see real quality, go to the nationals.

I agree with most of that except the whole bragging part. Bragging on your birds is like bragging on your kids you want to tell the world. I think if you are bragging just do it tastefully and correctly. Tell the truth, and be respectful about it

Yea, Dust bathing! Guess some of us let thier birds go at life naturally, hmm... another fault by some eyes. This stock has been commented on and has recieved numerous sales from appreciative buyers. But, to each thier own. Kinda makes a person wonder what, if any, does the complainers have to offer..... havent seen many web sites addresses let alone means of communications open from any of the complainers either. Guess when all you have to do is knit-pick someone elses stock, I could find a lot of faults in thier items as well, but, again, they would have to be seen first! Enough Said. Have a great day.
smile.png

John

That little thing sounded a bit bitter. This is an open forum. This is a place to discuss problems, voice and discuss opinions. Take opinions with a grain of salt. Every bird is under emense critisim and we all have to know that. You all are welcome to go to my site and see what I have. Everyone has their own unique opinions and what they like in a bird. A good bird bred to the SOP will look a bit different than another good one bred to the SOP. Its a matter of taste. Be curtious. Remember that this thread will be locked if we arent careful. I dont want anyone banned because of inappropriate comments made out of spite. Back on topic before this turns into another nasty spell. I like to take more than one bird to a show if I know I'm the only one exhibiting.

What I find __________ are breeders that will sell birds, chicks, or eggs w/obvious DQ's. One thing for a breeder is if the "type" isn't correct, then it is not that breed. Use to breed black cochins, I'd never say anything but go nuts keeping my mouth closed when I'd see people (bragging) about their cochins w/out a cochin tail. I see that here all the time. If it doesn't have a cushion butt, it's not a cochin (IMO). Or if it's got a single comb, it's not a wyandotte or any other rose comb breed. Hate it when I go to county fair, see blue ribbons on birds w/DQ's. Kids don't know better but judges should. If you don't know, get the book of standards out and read..........

When I got back into cochins, I had to beg a breeder to sell me a pair. He went nuts showing me the obvious defects (he used hen as a setter). I told him, it was just for a pair to run in yard as a pet. He refused to sell them to me, instead sent them as a gift. Their offspring never passed on the defect, but I never sold any, always referred people to him.

I am with Katy. ????

I am proud of my birds but I call them what they are. I show my birds and we chat about their quailties and their faults.

What I appreciate about Katy, is that she is always offering support and taking the time to do it.

I know nothing about showing birds but thought it might be fun for my kids to get involved in 4-H with a chick. How risky is it (disease and stress) for the bird?

Quote:
it is a great way to learn. I recommend becoming NPIP certified and practicing good biosecurity. Even now when I go to a show, I know I will learn something new. That is part of the fun. That and talking chicken all day with other people who love to talk chicken!

Quote:
No one here is complaining about your birds…..I think it is about some of the comments you have made. You came on the forum and made a comment about people thinking they have SQ birds when they don’t and you also made a comment about the judges not knowing what they were doing . We all curiously went to your website and took a look at your birds that you are advertising as SQ…… I guess everyone has their own view of SQ….. just like the judges will sometimes award BB to a bird that placed 3rd at the last show.

Back
Top Bottom