There is a hole in my duck PLEASE HELP!!!

carmeninthecountry

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
I have the worse problem with random dogs coming down too my house..so the other day when I went outside I noticed my white runner had blood all over him .... I caught her and started too look her over and she has a hole .. just above her leg a little bit...she is a runner so its above her leg and too the side...I have her put up and she has flies on it and everything I do not know what too do or what to put on it..

Please help

clean it with peroxide.. Put antibiotic ointment but make sure it does not have any additive for pain in it. It needs to be just neosporin or antibiotic ointment then I would cover this wound with something like gauze or white sheet you tore up or wash rag something and take tape and hold in place or wrap some coban or sheet ripped in long strip around duck to keep flies off of wound. Make sure it has lots of water and food.

I'm sorry, but I have to slightly contradict what the above poster, Wayne&Kim, said.

Peroxide is painful when it comes in contact with the wound, but that isn't the only issue with using it. It not only rids the wound of bad bacteria, but of good bacteria as well; bacteria that the wound needs to heal quickly and properly. Wash with lukewarm water and some dish soap, which is more gentle, and then coat with the antibiotic ointment as suggested above. It is optional to make a bandage for the wound.

Last edited:
I am just so sick and tired of peoples dogs!! I should not have to be going through this!

I had 18 ducks like a month or so ago and now I have 9!!! And I also had over 40 chickens and not I have 6 ...

I just need to know something too do I dont want her too die she is so different...a white runner very pretty

She has food and water I have her with my BO chicks...well they are 2 mts old in a pen... so they have food and water and she does also

The only reason I said dressing was to keep flies from laying eggs in wound and making it have maggots in it. If it will dry out is ok but you have to watch for fly eggs on it. That is another reason I said peroxide it kills maggots and fly eggs. She said she had flies buzzing the wound. Anyways that is what I would do because you have to prevent a problem

Last edited:
Wayne&Kim1963 :

I would start live trapping dogs and taking them to humane society. Other than that I don't know about town rules.

We have a nonsense (lol) dog catcher...so you call him he maybe rides through town and leaves and so me and my hubby called the mayor of the county or something and he got on him and he said too shoot them if you have too.. .so I have been shooting at the ground to scare them... wasting bullets...​

peroxide is not for deep wounds nor should you ever use peroxide on any chicken/ dog you may want to show. Peroxide is a great cleanser, however there is a bad effect of deeper scarring when using peroxide. I would use betadine to deep clean. make sure the bleeding is stopped and let the betadine dry. (best to dry the betadine without blowing on it. it needs to dry in a clean windless environment) Now decide if you need to stitch it up... if you do please use proper steryl stitching sutures (the needle in built in to my thread and is in a steryl pak. , or a surgical staple gun (either can be purchased from a place called jeffers which is online). If you are going to close it with sutures, the wound does have to make sense. I saw where a person was successful using super glue to close a wound, but I have never tried it myself. I really do not know lots about chickens yet, but i would see if there is a good cleanser that would promote feather growth. i would then apply antibiotic ointment and/or if the wound is serious enough, I would put on oral antibiotics as well.

Here in Missouri, the owners of the dogs responsible would have to pay you for any losses of your livestock who are on your property when the attack was made. check with your states laws to see what if anything can be done to stop these attacks on your property.

I am not a vet, I only write from my personal experiences with my own animals. you should always check with a licensed professional before making changes in the care of your animals.

Donna in Branson

I hate too say it I have cried and cried but the duck died today... later in the day... I do not know why I had her seperated and she had light water food the whole 9 yards I washed her off with some water let her dry and put lots of neo on her.... I dont understand...someone owes me a bunch of ducks...this is not the first one that I have lost

Quote:
At my old house, to protect my dogs (and kids) we had to fence our whole yard in, our stray problem was that bad. Sucks that we had to fork over money to guard us from someone else's neglect but sometimes you have to if there is no other way. Maybe you could build a run/coop for your chickens and one for your ducks.

Back
Top Bottom