There is MOLD growing on poo in my coop! Help!

BantyChickenLuv

Songster
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
Oregon
Hello,
Tonight, I got home and wasn't feeling very well, so I rested a bit. Then, I went out to check on my flock, (It was dark by this time). and noticed MOLD growing on the poo on one of the roosts! The "roost" I'm talking about it actually a self, as my coop is an old garden shed. Some repairs need to be made, including taking out the shelfing-- The girls roost all over. Anyways, I cleaned up the roost right away, best as I could in the dark. I normally clean it every 1-3 days. It's rainy here in the Pacific Northwest, which I'm sure has something to do with it as I've never had problems with mold in my coops before. The mold is only affecting the one roost, and only on two pieces of poo. Tomorrow I'm going to scrub down the roost with soap and water and clean the rest of the coop. I guess my main concern is, what kind of health risk does this pose to my flock? They are all heathy, never had any issues with anything before and I'm really worried as the coop in question is housing high quality show birds. Also, what can I do to prevent the mold?

I live in the Pac. NW too and have to bleach my coops out periodically (be very careful as ammonia fumes and bleach fumes together are lethal).

Also I sprinkle sweet PDZ powder all over the place and this helps to dry out the poop. You might want to look at the poop board convert thread (look in BYC search bar).

Otherwise I get mold on poop, too!

That is extremely common I think. I'm in the soggy NW too and there's always mold on the poop once the rains come. Think about it, it's the perfect mold paradise! Plenty of nutrients, moisture, and no direct sunlight.

Honestly, you don't really need to be concerned. Being a microbiologist, the VAST majority of mold you're going to see in your chicken poop is completely harmless and everywhere in the air, so disinfecting is really pointless. If it bothers you, just scoop more often, but you're not going to get rid of the mold for very long. Just take the necessary precautions in cleaning out your coop by using a mask to keep from getting a heavy dose of spores.

Last edited:
I live in a heavily forested area with a creek running through added onto the heavy rain we get. I ALWAYS have mold on my poop board only a few days after it has sat on the board.

Right now it's just the perfect temp/humidity/light conditions for mold *shrug*. It really doesn't bother me.

I live in a heavily forested area with a creek running through added onto the heavy rain we get. I ALWAYS have mold on my poop board only a few days after it has sat on the board.

Right now it's just the perfect temp/humidity/light conditions for mold *shrug*. It really doesn't bother me.
I'm in the same situation as you. Creek, forested area. Plus, I live on top of a big hill, so we get a lot of extra rain. Mold doesn't affect the health of your flock at all? I'm kind of panicking right now.
idunno.gif

Absolutely not. Some of my birds are 2 years old and have never had a problem with mold, and neither have I and I disturb all that mold every time I scrape the poop board and don't use a mask all the time. Only certain species can develop inside of the system of an animal, and those aren't the common species you see really. Is the mold your getting a grey/brownish color? The fluffy stuff you usually see isn't going to cause disease, it's just an environmental mold that likes growing on poop! No need to worry :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom