there is MOLD in my COOP!!! HELP'!!

chixaregreat41

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 1, 2013
217
6
71
bruce mines
There is mold i discovered today in my coop on the floor i covered it up but its very common to have mold here since we had extreme flooding! ITs completely covered and not exposed to any birds but you can still sort of smell it and we have lots of chickens and cant build a coop any time soon and we cant really replace the floor. So simplier version... Is it harmfull even if its not exposed to the chickens?
 

ChickensAreSweet

Heavenly Grains for Hens
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
15,100
700
398
Pacific NW- where the Douglas Firs grow
I have to bleach my coops every winter due to mold.

Make sure if you bleach that it is aired out and completely dry before you let them back in. Ammonia and bleach mixed is lethal. I do a rinse with water afterwards on the floor to be safe. (Also make sure you do NOT breathe in the fumes.)

I use sand on the floor of my coops now and just scrape it daily to keep it aired out (and scoop the poo with a kitty litter scoop). Works great for me (very thin layer of sand).
 
Last edited:

chfite

Songster
10 Years
Jun 7, 2011
2,171
123
236
Taylors, SC
You can kill the mold with a solution of household bleach mixed 10% in water, one part bleach to ten parts water. Flood or spray the mold until wet and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. The mold should turn a light color, indicating the kill. You can scrub off the mold with soap and water.

As you have learned, mold grows where there is sufficient moisture to support its development. The spores are everywhere all the time, so preventing the availability of a suitable medium for growth is important.

It may be a good idea to check this area frequently to stay ahead of any development.

Chris
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom