There is not much that phases me, but this did --- ANTS!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Jun 27, 2008.

1. H! I am used to dealing with the adversities that come from letting hens hatch eggs , and especially from letting hens set eggs in a 'community' environment.

I don't expect to have the nests swarmed by ants as soon as the chicks pip.
    The hen left the nest box (and I don't blame her), the pipped eggs were just swarmed with ants.
    I grabbed them and did what I could, but multiple ant bites to a chick is just too much for their system.
    I usually dust the nest boxes with 5% Sevin to deter ants, but haven't seen any til now --- too late for those chicks.

Just a reminder, for those of you are in an area where ants are always present.

Lisa

2. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Oh no, I'm so sorry. You know ants being a problem never occured to me. Thanks for the warning. Sorry it had to come at the expense of your chicks.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  3. PearlD

PearlD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Northwest Alabama
    Well, (hands on hips)let me just say, that in the past couple of weeks I have had ANTS getting in my INCUBATOR!!!!![​IMG]
    I have to be really careful when they start to hatch, 'cause you know those things call their friends when they come across something interesting.....
    I hate ants!!! They are right up there with mosquitoes and mice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by