There is some hope!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TwistedSerpent, Jul 6, 2011.

1. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    About a month ago I lost all but one of my flock to a dog attack. I had been gone a week so there was a decent buildup of eggs left. My incubater wasn't up and running but something told me to get it on and collect as many eggs as possible. Despite that I didn't hold out much hope most of the eggs were sitting out for at least a week. I let the incubator run however I left it dry and didn't turn the eggs. Yesterday I figured there's no reason to keep it on if any eggs were good they're not anymore due to some high temp fluxes and not being turned, so I loaded them up and took them out to the compost bin.

Holding an egg about to drop it in I hear a faint 'peep peep'. I listen closer and there's a little pecking. Suddenly I'm in a panic, the incubator is turned off and I'm outside with a container full of eggs that might actually have chicks in them. So back inside, incubator back on, eggs gently back in and a dish of water in. 24 hours later I have a small pip, and what sounds like a few more peeps coming from other eggs. This is not how I intended to hatch out my first chicks.

To add to that, my lone barred rock hen has decided now that she's alone she's going to go broody about a week ago. Its my plan to give her these babies, she just seems totally lost being by herself out there.

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Sounds like you might be lucky. Let us know how it turns out and sorry for the loss of your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by