Electric fencing. Keep the flock in their safe coop and run until either this coyote gives up, or is removed. And look for local trappers and hunters who can take care of this guy for you.
We have coyote families here, and with our fencing and probably our dogs, even though the dogs can't get around the chickens, we've never had losses to them. :fl :fl:fl.
Mary
Thank you, Mary.

Very occasionally have i seen a coyote during the daytime here, but they are singing at night most nights, nearby. One of our neighbors will shoot any he sees during the day, especially if one gets near his house. I don't want any close to the house either!
Wolves, bears, and cougars, lovely as they all are, but not eager to have any of them around...
Mary

Stop free ranging and make a nice large pen for your birds and entertain them in their pen. I do have electric wires around my coops and pens and since I haven't had any predator issues. I still see them but they steer clear of my coops and pens. Once they've been zapped they don't test the wires again. I don't free range anymore due to a host of predators including coyotes. I tried to trap them but they are pretty much impossible to catch. When you free range that's the risk you take sorry to say. Good luck...
Thanks, cmom.

Thank you. Hmmm. Seems like coyote urine would attract coyotes. Does this really work?
Wolf urine would definitely be better I’m just not as sure how available it is. But I have read that just like dogs, it creates a “marked territory” impression to another coyote and they will likely move on just to avoid issues. But if wolf is available I say use that! :)

I'm so sorry!
Do you have a grandson, relative, or friend who can come shoot it for you?
They are very easy to call in, and then just one good shot and that's it.
There are also leg hole traps you can use. Someone would probably have to set them though too. Just put a stake in the ground, run the little ring over it, set the trap, cover it up a bit, and drizzle coyote urine around it. Almost every time we try and trap coyotes we catch them. They are just so curious about the urine and have to investigate, especially if it's on their territory.

That will just bring in coyotes, because as I said they are so curious they'll come right up to it, sniff it, and mark it.
I can't think of much that would ward off a coyote. They're intelligent, and they have a great deal of fight in them.

How were you trying to trap them?
No, we don't have anyone here. Thanks, though. If I do set a leg trap I will need more than a pellet gun to dispatch it, and I haven't yet checked the local gun laws. Back where i lived before there was a five day wait period before you could buy a gun, and you had to register it and take a gun safety class. All of which I'm willing to do, having handled firearms in the past, and I understand and respect the gun laws, I just wish there wasn't a delay under the circumstances.

Wolf urine would definitely be better I’m just not as sure how available it is. But I have read that just like dogs, it creates a “marked territory” impression to another coyote and they will likely move on just to avoid issues. But if wolf is available I say use that! :)
Well all this talk of urine marking gave me an idea so I took a page out of Dances With Wolves. We'll see how it works. 😉

Back
Top Bottom