Thermal monoscop by flir to see them coming

Headinthesand

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2015
I just ordered the scout thermal monoscope to help deal with our predators around here. We live at about 9000 feet and we have bears and mountain lions and raccoons amongst I'm sure a myriad of other predators that I don't know about. I am hoping that this thermal monoscope will help me sort them out to help protect our chickens ducks geese ostrich etc. it's an expensive solution but one that I hope will be well worthwhile

I know many folks who have those same preds, and the thing that seems to keep all at bay is electrified wire around coops. Might be something to think about for the future. Best of luck, though!

Unfortunately our chickens fly over the fence and decide to explore the woods around the coop. We loose them there. So an electric wire probably won't do much unfortunately.
I know many folks who have those same preds, and the thing that seems to keep all at bay is electrified wire around coops.  Might be something to think about for the future.  Best of luck, though!

I just ordered the scout thermal monoscope to help deal with our predators around here. We live at about 9000 feet and we have bears and mountain lions and raccoons amongst I'm sure a myriad of other predators that I don't know about. I am hoping that this thermal monoscope will help me sort them out to help protect our chickens ducks geese ostrich etc. it's an expensive solution but one that I hope will be well worthwhile
Not sure how that will help you protect against predators, but what a fun toy to have!

Well aart I don't know if you have ever tried to look for a raccoon or coyote hiding in the woods at night but it's next to impossible.

Unfortunately our chickens fly over the fence and decide to explore the woods around the coop. We loose them there. So an electric wire probably won't do much unfortunately.
Quote:

Well aart I don't know if you have ever tried to look for a raccoon or coyote hiding in the woods at night but it's next to impossible.
If you're birds are flying over fence to range ...are they coming back at night to roost in coop?
The best night time predator protection is a strong coop that will exclude predators...and scope won't do any good in day time.
But again fun thing to use.

Yes they come back at nighttime roost. They sleep in the barn with the ostriches. However our ostriches are worth a great deal of money so I go out at night. If the geese start making noise at night I go out with the shotgun and have sent several raccoons back to their maker. But as many have ran off into the bushes. Being able to see them is crucial. See I'm not really concerned if I loose a chicken or two out of the 100+ chickens and 30 geese and 20 ducks that we have. What I am concerned about is a predator coming in after one of the smaller birds and causing the ostriches to run the fence and possibly hurt them selfs. Being as I make my money selling ostrich chicks being able to track and eliminate predators at the first sign is critical. Also for the person that said you can't use a thermal camera during the day. You are wrong. It is as effective during the day as the night light has no effect on the performance of the thermal camera.

Yes they come back at nighttime roost. They sleep in the barn with the ostriches. However our ostriches are worth a great deal of money so I go out at night. If the geese start making noise at night I go out with the shotgun and have sent several raccoons back to their maker. But as many have ran off into the bushes. Being able to see them is crucial. See I'm not really concerned if I loose a chicken or two out of the 100+ chickens and 30 geese and 20 ducks that we have. What I am concerned about is a predator coming in after one of the smaller birds and causing the ostriches to run the fence and possibly hurt them selfs. Being as I make my money selling ostrich chicks being able to track and eliminate predators at the first sign is critical. Also for the person that said you can't use a thermal camera during the day. You are wrong. It is as effective during the day as the night light has no effect on the performance of the thermal camera.
Ah, well, the more of the story that comes out, the more sense it makes.
Yes, I didn't know it would work in daylight.
I take it that the scope mounts to a rifle?

No this one doesn't mount to a rifle but they make models that do. The scope model is like 3 grand. I couldn't afford that one. The one I got was 1900 as it was. But you can make out enough of the surrounding area to be able to shoot at. If that makes sense. So look through the scope. Mentally mark where it's at and then if your using a shotgun it should scatter enough to get it. If you miss then the critter thinks twice about coming around again. I can't post links here but if you go to google search engine and search for the term "thermal vision vs night vision" and the first article that comes up by the company Flir titled "thermal vision vs night vision- by Flir" is a really neat article about the differences between night vision and thermal vision. It also has some photos comparing both so you can see the difference.

Ps last night as I was getting ready for bed our Great Pyrenees was barking. His job is to keep critters on the other side of the fence from wandering through to our property. Anyway long story short He was barking and I went out to check it out and took the scope with me and low and behold out on the road outside of our fence was an adolescent black bear. He was not causing any problem and appeared to be moving on but it was cool to be able to go out and see him even if it was only a thermal image

Back
Top Bottom